A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Friday, December 24, 2010

Tori's Review: Incarceron by Catherine Fisher


Hardcover
- 448 pages
Price: $17.99
ISBN 10: 0803733968
ISBN 13: 978-0803733961
Released: January 26, 2010

Catherine's Website
Buy it via the Publisher
Buy it via Amazon

Obtained: Prize 
Genre: YA Dystopian 
Series: Incarceron 
1. Incarceron
2. Sapphique






Incarceron is a prison unlike any other: Its inmates live not only in cells, but also in metal forests, dilapidated cities, and unbounded wilderness. The prison has been sealed for centuries, and only one man, legend says, has ever escaped.
           
Finn, a seventeen-year-old prisoner, can’t remember his childhood and believes he came from Outside Incarceron. He’s going to escape, even though most inmates don’t believe that Outside even exists. And then Finn finds a crystal key and through it, a girl named Claudia. 
           
Claudia claims to live Outside—her father is the Warden of Incarceron and she’s doomed to an arranged marriage. If she helps Finn escape, she will need his help in return. But they don’t realize that there is more to Incarceron than meets the eye. Escape will take their greatest courage and cost far more than they know. 
           
Because Incarceron is alive.



My Rating: DNF

My Opinion:
It's been about two weeks now since I started INCARCERON. I had a few issues while reading the first 200 pages with world building and the characters. Regarding the world building: the start was extremely scattered and I was left wondering a little too much about the worlds both inside Incarceron and outside. Regarding the characters: our hero and heroine were entirely too difficult to connect with. They felt somewhat flat because of my lack of feeling... well, anything for them. I feel like such an ass saying I felt nothing for the world and characters because I wanted to.

Due to the amount of time that has passed and my lack of excitement with continuing this story, I will not be continuing it. That is not to say that others will not enjoy this novel. Had I read INCARCERON at another point in time (where I was not so burnt out between reading for the blog and college finals both looming in the distance and finally leaving me the hell alone), I might have enjoyed this.

I think those who generally enjoy dystopians mixed with fantasy will adore this story. If, however, you do not enjoy the slow pacing of fantasies then I suggest mentally preparing yourself before reading.

10 comments:

  1. I can totally understand when a book just doesnt do it for you. I've been on both ends as I'm sure many reader-reviewers have been. Some books just dont hold your attention and that's cool. But I do like that you mention who might just like it.

    Anyhow, I do hope you find a book to reprieve you from the madness of reading for review or school. Perhaps, something for you to just enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I don't think the break I took during finals was enough. Either that, or the growing review pile is making my brain rebel lol!

    I'm currently reading Taken By the Others by Jess Haines which has been a great read thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tori!
    I just bought this book and I'm hoping that I like it. I completely understand when you have a hard time connecting to the characters because that can make or brake a book for me. Thanks for your honesty and I hope you have a fantastic Christmas!=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Matched by Ally Condie and I was disappointed-- dystopian novels are not my thing, I realised.

    But the cover is absolutely gorgeous. At least you can enjoy a pretty book on your bookshelf? I mean, i totally wanna read The Replacement, but I have to buy it online because I prefer the US cover to the UK version. *sigh* Eh, it'd be cheaper to get it online anyways. ^^

    And now I'm rambling. D:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heyy Steph! Yeah, I scanned GR the other day to see what other people thought and there was a general agreement regarding the hard to connect with characters. Despite that, I hope that you have better luck with this novel. Please tell me what you think of it!


    Hey Alice. You're right, the cover is stunning, but I think I'd rather pass this book on to another person as opposed to keep a pretty cover on my nonexistent shelf rofl. INCARCERON *might* interest you, though. While it is a dystopian, there are a lot of fantasy aspects to it too, unlike MATCHED. Also, I would suggest checking out WITHER by Lauren DeStefano before giving up on the dystopian genre. I wasn't entirely crazy about MATCHED, but WITHER was captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't finish the first time I tackled it either - I was also burnt out from other reading and stuff and it's kind of a challenging book to get into. This book was a take it or leave it for me once I finished it. It was okay and I'm not upset I read it, but it wasn't one I just couldn't put down or anything. But I totally relate to your experience reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan, I think one of the main issues that contributes to the lack of investment is how hard the characters are to relate with. The world building is something you can overlook, but the characters... not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Understandable. I could not get into the book until about 200 pgs in, but then I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't finish this one either!
    By the way, I'm a new follower, and I'm excited to start keeping up with your blog :)

    ReplyDelete