A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Tori's Review: The Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker


Paperback
- 368 pages
Price: $9.99
ISBN 13: 978-1402256332 
Released: March 1, 2011

Lisa and Laura's Website 
Buy it via Amazon

Obtained: Authors 
Genre: YA 
Series: The Liar Society 
1. The Liar Society









Kate Lowry didn't think dead best friends could send e-mails. But when she gets an e-mail from Grace, she’s not so sure.

To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
Sent: Sun 9/14 11:59 PM
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)

Kate,
I'm here…
sort of.
Find Cameron.
He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell.
They'll hurt you.
 


Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. But secrets haunt the halls of her elite private school. Secrets people will do anything to protect. Even if it means getting rid of the girl trying to solve a murder...



My Rating:

My Opinion:
THE LIAR SOCIETY is what I wish paranormal YA books would be like. While there were no paranormal elements in this story, I think a lot of YA authors could learn a thing or two by reading this.

First off, the heroine does not need to fall madly in love with some lame guy and drop everything for him, and I think Kate is a perfect example of how kick ass a heroine could be when she's not obsessing 24/7 over a guy. Loyalty is also an important factor to include in a book, which, surprisingly, just happens to be missing in a lot of YAs. Thankfully, there's plenty in TLS to compensate. Also, there was enough action and suspense in the story to make me forget that I wasn't reading a paranormal book. Who knew?

The writing is amazing, and for the most part, I forgot this was a debut while reading. The plot was excellent, and kept me glued to the pages (read it in one afternoon!). The characters were interesting, and it was easy to relate with Kate. I wanted to scream for her at one point while she was stuck interacting with her parents. I'm thankful mine never behaved like that, but I knew plenty of friends who had nightmarish parents like Kate's.

I only have one (minor) complaint about the use of Latin within the novel. At first, I thought it was both interesting and unique to include, but then there were so many instances of it being used, that it kind of made me lose interest (in the plaques). Extremely minor, and I believe that many will be able to overlook this. For some reason, I couldn't after a while.

I was not expecting the twist at the end of the book, which is what I think made the story that much better! Definitely looking forward to future books by the Roecker ladies, and I hope that everyone else will give this debut a shot too! You won't be disappointed.

5 comments:

  1. I'm reading this one right now! I'm only 80 pages or so in, but I'm enjoying it so far. I can't wait to read the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see another good review. I think it's time I buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on the fence with this one but you have me convinced!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an interesting book! But does anyone else get the whole "Lazy Town" vibe from the girl with pink hair on the cover?

    ReplyDelete