A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker by Leanna R. Hieber



With radiant, snow white skin and hair, Percy Parker was a beacon for Fate. True love had found her, in the tempestuous form of Professor Alexi Rychman. But her mythic destiny was not complete. Accompanying the ghosts with which she alone could converse, new and terrifying omens loomed. A war was coming, a desperate ploy of a spectral host. Victorian London would be overrun.  Yet, Percy kept faith. Within the mighty bastion of Athens Academy, alongside The Guard whose magic shielded mortals from the agents of the Underworld, she counted herself among friends. Wreathed in hallowed fire, they would stand together, no matter what dreams or nightmares—may come.


Obtained: Leanna & Dorchester
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Historical Fantasy
Series:
Strangely Beautiful
1.  The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker (book review)
2.  The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker
My Rating: 
This is the first series that has received this kind of grade two times in a row thus far, and Leanna is currently one of the only authors who has received the Faerie of Honor rating two times in a row.  Want to know what this special rating is?  Go here!

Story:

*SPOILERS ALERT*
Percy is finally united with The Guard and her beloved Alexi, now that the gorgon has been defeated.  What better way to celebrate this new union and victory than by getting married to the one you love?  Being engaged to the darling Professor makes it seem as if life cannot improve in any way. 

Yet constant reminders of a looming war--thanks to a new ghostly character who rivals Alexi in the moodiness factor--seem to dampen the honeymoon on numerous occasions.  With war, and the warnings of a betrayal, on the minds of The Guard's members, how will everyone cope?*END SPOILERS ALERT*

My Opinion:
Darkly Luminous--much like in SB#1 (Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker)--started off somewhat slowly.  Leanna took care to ensure that no detail was shrugged off while setting the scene.  She focuses on Percy and Alexi's relationship so thoroughly, I can guarantee you there is absolutely no room to doubt the love betwixt them.

The second half of Darkly Luminous finally begins to pick up speed.  Much like a person crawling up the hill of a roller coaster at a snail's pace, Leanna builds the tension between the members of The Guard and between Alexi and Percy.  Without warning, readers quickly plummet down in a series of events that will make your jaw drop.  My eyes were literally glued to the pages at this point.  I ignored everyone (including my college professor...twice.  Yes, I was reading during class LOL) to keep on going.  I also nearly screamed in class upon reading what Darkness murmured in the Whiper-world.

Alexi, while cold and almost brutal to an extent in SB#1, undergoes a transformation.  Instead of being constantly cold and scowling, his persona maintains a brilliant vitality about him.  He's a pervert too!  I was laughing hysterically at some of the comments he made to Percy and Elijah.  Oh, and despite his alpha-esque qualities, Percy slowly learn how to put the man in his place.  I was cheering for her inside my head the whole time.

Like I've said before, this series is definitely worth reading.  It is a new and exciting breath of fresh air, sure to leave you salivating for more. 


1 comment:

  1. HODGEPODGESPV: thanks for the spoiler alert! i can't wait for it to come out! i so loved the first one! i wish they would make it into a movie (or 3)

    Tori: No problem :) A movie would be wonderful--it is being turned into a musical though

    Sandy: yes but i thought it was not a national thing but then if it is really successful, it could go to new york and then tour...wonder how long it will take to get to texas?



    Stephanie: I don't read a whole lot of paranormal or fantasy, but you make this sound wonderful! I'll keep an eye out for it.

    Tori: You're making me blush



    Lexie: I'm in the middle of this now, so I didn't want to read your review fully (this is one of the few series that I don't want to be spoiled for!), but I already love it XD I forgot how much I love Alexi since last reading SB1.

    Though I don't really want to wait until the winter for SB2.5 ;-;

    Tori: Yes, I love Alexi too ;) I can't wait that long either... I need ALL the books in the series NOW



    Steph: Thanks for bringing this to us. I loved the link to the photo of the author dressed as Percy. I think it was an awesome costume. And, you did a great job interviewing her.

    Tori: Yeah it was really cool. I wasn't picturing Percy like that at all

    ReplyDelete