A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tori's Review: Double Cross by Carolyn Crane


Released:
September 28, 2010
Paperback: 336 pages
Price: $7.99
Publisher: Spectra 
Source: Bought (the ebook, GASP!!)
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: The Disillusionists Trilogy 
Buy: Amazon



Add this book to your Goodreads shelf


SOME SECRETS
COME BACK TO HAUNT.
OTHERS COME TO KILL.


Justine Jones lived her life as a fearful hypochondriac until she was lured into the web of a mysterious mastermind named Packard, who gifts her with extraordinary mental powers - dooming her to fight Midcity's shadowy war on paranormal crime in order to find the peace she so desperately craves.

But now serial killers with unheard-of skills are terrorizing the most powerful beings in Midcity, including mastermind Packard and his oldest friend and worst enemy, Midcity's new mayor, who has the ability to bend matter itself to his will.

As the body count grows, Justine faces a crisis of conscience as she tests the limits of her new powers and faces an impossible choice between two flawed but brilliant men - one on a journey of redemption, the other descending into a pit of moral depravity.

My Rating:

My Opinion:
Thought # 1: Oh my god, what a mind fuck.

Thought #2: Read it in one sitting. Woo hoo, a book finally got me pulling an all nighter again!!

Little mini review aside, I think that DOUBLE CROSS had the best cliffhanger ever. It didn't piss me off and it didn't make me feel like Carolyn threw it in there for the sake of doing so because everyone's trying to hook their readers. It fit with the storyline perfectly, and I appreciated it because I wanted to read more, and I wanted to read more fast.

I haven't appreciated a good cliffhanger in a long, long time.

What's there to say about this book? For one, MIND GAMES ended on such a good note that I was salivating for DOUBLE CROSS. I reserved it at my library, and after half a day, I got way too impatient and ordered it for my Kindle.

I do not buy books (unless we're talking about an auto-buy author), and I certainly do not buy e-books. I may have a Kindle, but I get free e-books for it because I think the pricing in general is a bit ridiculous. And guess what? I didn't even CARE that DOUBLE CROSS was the same price as the paperback version; I needed this book ASAP so that I could see what happened next to Justine and Packard and Otto.

When an author has the ability to get me that invested in a book/plot/universe, I do not take that lightly. Nor do I take such stories for granted because they rarely seem to come my way anymore.

Carolyn Crane: I'm kicking myself for not reading your series sooner. You're an auto-buy for me, now.

DOUBLE CROSS, like its predecessor, receives a highly recommended from me. I think I've fallen in love with the Urban Fantasy genre all over again.


Series Order:
1. Mind Games (Tori's Review)
2. Double Cross
3. Head Rush (Tori's Review)
3.5 Devil's Luck

1 comment:

  1. I 100% agree with you Tori! This series has so many things that are normally red flags for me. Love triangles, cliffhangers...but I never felt manipulated. She delivers on every front in this series. When one door closes, another one is blown wide open and you're just stunned at the new turn of events.
    A mind f*ck indeed. But in the best way possible.
    This makes me so happy that you loved the series as much as I did. As you know it pulled me out of my slump too.

    ReplyDelete