A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tori's Review: Mind Games by Carolyn Crane


Released:
March 23, 2010
Paperback: 384 pages
Price: $7.99
Publisher: Spectra 
Source: Karen, For What It's Worth
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: The Disillusionists Trilogy
Buy: Amazon





Add this book to your Goodreads shelf


JUSTINE KNOWS
SHE'S GOING TO DIE.
ANY SECOND NOW.


Justine Jones has a secret. A hardcore hypochondriac, she's convinced a blood vessel is about to burst in her brain. Then, out of the blue, a startlingly handsome man named Packard peers into Justine's soul and invites her to join his private crime-fighting team. It's a once-in-a-lifetime deal. With a little of Packard's hands-on training, Justine can weaponize her neurosis, turning it outward on Midcity's worst criminals, and finally get the freedom from fear she's always craved. End of problem.

Or is it?

In Midcity, a dashing police chief is fighting a unique breed of outlaw with more than human powers. And while Justine's first missions, including one against a nymphomaniac husband-killer, are thrilling successes, there is more to Packard than meets the eye. Soon, while battling her attraction to two very different men, Justine is plunging deeper into a world of wizardry, eroticism, and cosmic secrets. With Packard's help, Justine has freed herself from her madness - only to discover a reality more frightening than anyone's worst fears.

My Rating:

My Opinion: 
I love me some realistic heroines, and I think Justine topped the charts. I've never read a book about a heroine prone to panic attacks (something Karen and anyone who is good friends with me can affirm I suffer from), which made me feel closer to her character on a totally new level. She never annoyed me--okay, maybe once or twice---and she was funny as hell. No heroine has ever thrown a frying pan at someone she's pissed at, and I totally appreciated that sort of twisted humor.

I've been coping with a reading slump due to college work, and it actually took me the entire month of February to get through MIND GAMES. I wish it didn't. I've been waiting two days now for my library to get a copy of book 2, and I'm ready to just buy the ebook version for my Kindle because I'm so impatient to continue this series.

Why am I suddenly so passionate about reading (at least this series) again? Because of the world building. This urban fantasy is not your typical UF; the characters are quirky, the world is refreshingly unique, and the powers each character has makes this fun. No vampires, no werewolves, no typical paranormal creatures. I didn't realize that I was getting so sick of the characters in my favorite genre until Karen sent me her copy of MIND GAMES to check out.

If you're a fan of urban fantasy thirsting for something new, then this series is definitely something you should look into. I cant wait to read the next two books in this series! Highly recommended.

PS: I finally understand the cucumber reference that used to float around Twitter!


Series Order:
1. Mind Games
2. Double Cross (Tori's Review)
3. Head Rush (Tori's Review)
3.5 Devil's Luck

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I can't wait to get into this one, I have it on my TBE pile but haven't read it yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it, you're right always great to have a realistic heroine. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Justine can grate on one's nerves later in the series, but there is no doubt about it that she is realistic. Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I have won this book, and started it, but totally could not get into it. But if you say it really is good, I will give it another try. Hope your reading slump disappears fast now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a little bit of time to get into the book initially too. I enjoyed it, but then I stopped and started so many times that I just didn't read the book for a week or two. Then I started again and it was like crack on a stick. Finished the other two within 24 hours. Hope you like it!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this book and I'm so happy that it pulled you out of your reading slump<3

    TEAM PACKARD FTW.

    ReplyDelete