A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Monday, May 28, 2012

Tori's Review: A Blood Seduction by Pamela Palmer


Released:
May 29, 2012
Paperback: 384 pages
Price: $7.99
Publisher: Avon
Source: Amazon Vine 
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Vamp City
Buy: Amazon


Add this book to your Goodreads shelf


Vampires live only for lust and pleasure in the eternal twilight of Vamp City. But the city’s magic is dying. The only person who can restore it? A beautiful woman from the mortal world...one who knows nothing of the power she wields.

Quinn Lennox is searching for a missing friend when she stumbles into a dark otherworld that only she can see—and finds herself at the mercy of Arturo Mazza, a dangerously handsome vampire whose wicked kiss will save her, enslave her, bewitch her, and betray her.

What Arturo can’t do is forget about her—any more than Quinn can control her own feelings for him. Neither one can let desire get in the way of their mission—his to save his people, hers to save herself.

But there is no escape from desire in a city built for seduction, where passion flows hot and blood-red. Welcome to Vamp City...

My Rating: DNF

My Opinion:
DNF: read the first 50+ pages and could not get into this story. I'm just going to list what didn't work for me:
  • not a very interesting start in my eyes. I don't make a huge deal about the first sentence of a story (though I do appreciate it when an author writes something funny or interesting), but the first sentence in this book was just so boring and monotonous, and really set the stage for how the remainder of the chapter was like.
  • not a very interesting heroine. I still can't remember her name.
     
  • too much telling, not enough showing. You're told about the "love" the siblings share, told about the dedication, but you're never shown it. The brother and sister have each other's backs? Well, how heartwarming... But if you can't PROVE it, then why should I care?
     
  • not a lot of action, and when things do finally pick up, I honestly did not care. By the time our "hero" appears, I was bored out of my mind and couldn't take the book seriously.
     
  • the heroine doesn't have a lot of spunk. The part where the "hero" snaps that he is her master, and then she turns around and calls him master so easily... Ugh I don't know, it just rubbed off on me the wrong way and my amusement dissipated. Mind you, she was giving him an attitude not moments before him snapping at her, so I don't know why she would suddenly give in without a fight.

After my initial disappointment with the pacing of the story and my lack of interest, I tried to continue reading... I really did, but the only way I was able to do so was by NOT taking what I was reading "seriously." I do enjoy books that I never intend to review, and I have read plenty of books that I thought was a joke, but this one just had one thing after another that simply did not work for me.

There are, however, plenty of other reviewers who have read this story and who seemed to enjoy it. If you're looking for a review gushing about this title, then I suggest you look for those. As for me, I can't recommend this book if you have similar tastes to my own.


Series Order:
1. A Blood Seduction

9 comments:

  1. I hate when a book is too much telling and not enough showing. It really distracts from imagining the story.

    Great review =D

    Maura @ Monster of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I agree, there's an important balance between the two, and if an author can't maintain it, it becomes way too distracting.

      Delete
  2. I read a lof of different reviews about this one, and I was wondering what to do about the book, well I finally think I'll pass this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a lot of mixed opinions on this title, also. Some loved the dark "hero-but-not-quite-hero," others hated him. Others loved or hated how violent and violating the vampires were--which I, unfortunately, did not read far enough to witness for myself. I think I may have enjoyed that element, since we've seen so many vampires that have me de-fanged, pretty much.

      If you're truly interested in checking this title out, perhaps you can borrow it from your library? I'd mail you my copy, except that I already donated it lol.

      Delete
  3. Sorry you can't get into the book. But all the reviews I did read, make me believe it would have been way too dark for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, there are plenty of other good books out there that will entertain me :)

      I agree, other reviews made it sound like one of the darker UFs out there. From my experience, it was just too boring and felt like we were merely skimming the surface of a potentially great idea.

      Delete
  4. I was thinking about trying this one out, but now I don't think this book is for me. Thanks for the honest review. I like how you structure your reviews, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope my review didn't entirely discourage you. I'm a bit picky with books, and this style of writing just does not work for me :/

      Delete
  5. I actually liked the book for the quick read factor. It was dark and very mature. But, if someone is looking for a quick, sexy, no nonsense type of book it's worth it to read.

    ReplyDelete