A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ravish by Cathy Yardley



An innocent beauty, trapped in sleep...
Sheltered from society, Aurora Jacquard has yet to feel the sweet release of physical love.  Then, on the night she is about to give in to temptation, she inexplicably falls into a deep coma.
A handsome prince, determined to discover her secrets...
Jacob White is one of the best neurologists in the world, and he intends to awaken Aurora from her virginal slumber.  But when she begins to invade his dreams every night, beckoning him into a sensuous place of lust and danger, Jacob realizes there's more to this woman than meets the eye.
It will take more than a kiss to wake her up...
Trapped in a world of erotic dreams, Aurora and Jacob must surrender to their deepest darkest desires...but how far are they willing to go?


Obtained: Bought
Genre: Erotica/Romance
Series: Smoldering fairy tales for adults
1. Crave
2. Ravish
My Rating:
I was excited to read this upon seeing another blogger's review on this book, but when I started the story, I felt it just dragged on and on.  I was actually tempted to close the book halfway through and not finish it, but I managed to late last night.

My Opinion:
I REALLY wish there was more character development.  Dialogue and reactions are what primarily irked me the most about this tale.  Rory, Jacob, and all the secondary characters appeared more 2D than any other book I've read.  Not to say that I'm necessarily flaming this book, mind you, but I just find it hard to believe that everyone could live happily ever after when 75% of the book was about sex.

Then again, most of the story was based upon the dream world.  Maybe that's why I feel so skeptical about some of the reactions?  Rory and Jacob admitting their love for each other just felt the most random... almost as if Yardley was trying to justify all the dream sex the two had, and to strengthen the supposed bond the two shared.  I don't know.  I enjoy reading sex scenes just as much any other person who reads books by authors such as Kresley Cole and Gena Showalter, but this book.  I don't know.  Maybe it was Yardley's writing style.  Maybe because other authors add a bit more plot and actually build the relationship a bit more.  I can't pin my reasoning for not enjoying this book to one particular aspect.

The book is priced at $13.95, but I bought it through a secondary source for $8.  I don't spend more than $10 on any author unless it's someone like Anne Bishop or Patricia Briggs.  This wasn't the book for me, but some of you might still enjoy it.



7 comments:

  1. Thank you for a great, honest review hon! That is all we can ask for. I have seen this float around blog land too. The cover is what draws me, but I am not sure about the story.
    Hope you have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is wonderful, but the plot... Not so great in my honest opinion. I think it just gets overshadowed by the sex scenes way too much.

    At one point I actually started skimming past any scenes where the characters began having sex just so I could see what would happen with the story heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the honest review. Still might have to check this one out myself, just out of curiosity! I've enjoyed reading your blog. Keep up the good work!

    Juli
    http://julismapsroom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this one and the first one. I enjoyed it. But only because I knew going into the reading that it was going to be a highly erotic read and not much more than that. I gave it a good review, but I personally like taking a break and reading the steamy stuff.

    I am glad you shared your POV on the book though. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juli- Good! If you do check it out, make sure that you're in the mood--like Amy J said--to take a break just to read something that erotic.


    Amy J- Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be majorly focused on sex to that extent. If I had known, I would have saved it for a point when I was actually in the mood to read something steamy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Showing some love today, you have an award at my blog:) Please stop by to pick it up.
    http://bittenbyparanormalromance.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-was-given-sexy-blogger-award-some-man.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honesty Is Always The Best Policy On A Book Review So Thank You For Your Honest Opinion. I Have Not Really Heard Much On This Book But I Will Look Into It A little More Befoe I Decide On Whether Or Not To Read It.

    ReplyDelete