A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater


the cold.
Grace has spent years watching the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--watches back.  He feels deeply familiar to her, but she doesn't know why.
the heat.
Sam has lived two lives.  As a wolf, he keeps the silent company of the girl he loves.  And then, for a short time each year, he is human, never daring to talk to Grace...until now.
the shiver.
For Grace and Sam, love has always been kept at a distance.  But once it's spoken, it cannot be denied.  Sam must fight to stay human--and Grace must fight to keep him--even if it means taking on the scars of the past, the fragility of the present, and the impossibility of the future.

Obtained: Bought
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy
Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls
1. Shiver
2. Linger
3. Forever
My Rating:
Devoured this in two days. I wish I could have skipped class today to sit and read/finish this. Holy jeebus, all of you who told me to read this ASAP? I love you all.  Seriously.  It was such a breath of fresh air in comparison to some of the other books I've read recently.

Story:
Grace is a seventeen year old girl fascinated with the wolves residing in the forest behind her house.  When she was younger, she was brutally attacked by said wolves, only to be saved by one particular golden eyed pack member.  This wolf has been her obsession for the past six years.

Lucky her when, after a "brutal murder", this golden-eyed creature shows up on her doorstep.  As a human.  With a gunshot wound to the neck.

After rushing Sam to the hospital, only to discover his super human healing abilities, the duo are plagued by one particular problem: the closer it gets to winter, the more susceptible Sam is to the change back to wolf.  Will they figure out a way to save the young boy before it's too late?

My Opinion:
Any book that can get me invested enough that angst-y scenes make me cry or almost cry has claimed a special place in my heart.  Shiver is a new addition to this select list.  It is so beautifully written that I'm actually sad that I finished it today, even though I was dying to see what would happen with Sam and Grace.

My favorite character is Isabel.  She seemed like some prissy little snob, but once she was integrated into the group, she was hilarious.  I had to slap a hand over my mouth quite a few times today in order to keep my squeals of laughter quiet because of some of the things she said.

Grace and Sam compliment each other perfectly.  Grace is confident and sexy, while Sam's the little insecure emo kid.  His flip flopping between being shy/insecure and wanting to kiss Grace senseless got me frustrated at one point, only because it felt like they were so far in their relationship already for him to act like that with her.

The one thing I have to complain about?  THE ENDING!  I wanted to squeal in frustration just because of it.  It was so abrupt and left me needing more.  Stiefvater, you're so cruel!  And the wait is so long for Linger.... =(

But in all seriousness.  This book was perfect.  I loved it.  If it's in your TBR pile, I highly suggest you read it next.  You won't regret it.



6 comments:

  1. I look forward to finding this one. Thanks, Tori for the recommendation!
    Julianne
    Café Pearl
    http://julismapsroom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book.I read it in a day.I can't wait for Linger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also though the love scenes with Sam and Grace were handled very well. A wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julianne: My pleasure! =) I hope you love it just as much as the rest of us.

    Elaing8: Ditto! I can't wait to meet Ms. Stiefvater next Sunday! hehe

    KB: They were beautiful. The whole concept of less is more -definitely- applies to this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this book too -- and I thought the romance between Sam and Grace was well-written and refreshing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I would have read it sooner then I did. It was just staring at me one day and once I started I could not stop! I agree that Sam not wanting to push her too much was annoying but that made him super sweet. Cant wait to read Linger!! :)

    ReplyDelete