A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Thursday, March 4, 2010

She's No Faerie Princess by Christine Warren



WHEN A ROYAL REBEL...
Queen Mab's niece, Fiona, wants nothing to do with the intrigues of Court life. She'd prefer to cut loose at a punk club, knock back a few Thai beers, and hook up with a likely lad of similar interests. But when Fiona goes AWOL, she only gets as far as Manhattan's Central Park before a nasty demon nearly puts a permanent crimp in her plans--and a dark stranger sparks her desire...
MEETS THE BIG, BAD WOLF...
All work and no play make Tobias Walker one cranky werewolf. After six months of doing his part to keep the peace during the delicate negotiations between the Others and humankind, he'd like nothing more than a good night's sleep--preceded by an enthusiastic mating session. The alluring woman he rescues in the park might be the answer to his most lustful prayers, but only if they can both stay alive long enough to find out who wants her dead and why.
PASSION TAKES A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE...
Now, Fiona and Tobias must unravel a tangled web of treachery that spans branches of the Fae, Other, and mortal worlds, all the while falling into a dangerous attraction that could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship--or the end for them both....


Obtained: Bought
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: The Others
1. Wolf at the Door
2. She's No Faerie Princess
My Rating:
This book took me slightly longer to finish due to the fact that I read it in between classes for the past week.  It was a good story, but it had some kinks that need to be worked out between character reactions and typographical errors that made me have to reread certain scenes over more than once.

Story:
Enter Fiona, Fae royalty who's pretty much just sick and tired of politics.  So, breaking all the rules instated by her aunt, the violet-eyed princess sneaks off to the mortal world to have a good time in Manhattan for a few nights.  That plan, however, is ruined before Fiona even steps foot out of the park she appeared in due to a demon attack.

Conveniently enough, a sexy werewolf who happens to be the second in command of his wolf pack is patrolling the park at the scene of the attack, saving Fiona's pretty little hide.  And of course, since both were injured during the attack, Walker takes this mysterious woman back to his apartment of all places in order to nurse her back to health.... only to have her heal herself and then try to take advantage of him.  What's a wolf to do?


My Opinion:
I enjoyed the story, despite any sarcastic comments I make about the book right now.  Blame that on my exhaustion from a full day of classes.

Rafe and Tess reappear once more in this second installment and are their same witty, sarcastic selves.  I'm delighted, and really wish that they had their own book focused on their relationship, but I suppose that's wishful thinking.

Walker and Fiona have an electric relationship, and the sex that they have is definitely steamy.  But aside from them having sex, I was somewhat unconvinced at certain scenes about the "realness" of these characters and their relationship.  Finoa's immortal and struggles with the fact that her mate is mortal.  But then all of a sudden that problem gets conveniently solved by the end of the book.  It appeared more like an afterthought than something that genuinely plagued the Faerie princess for a good portion of the story.

Then Walker is a complete ass in the beginning, only to suddenly pounce on Fiona a little while later.  Maybe it's just me, but if there was a guy who was so delicious-looking-that-I-melted-into-jello-any-time-he-touched-me, and he was acting like a douche bag, I definitely wouldn't want to have sex with him after he treated me like shit for a good two or three days.  But Finoa is just incredulous for a good few kisses before she gives in.  And he marks her as his mate.  The first time they have sex.

Aside from the romance between the two characters taking a backseat to sex, I really did enjoy this book.  There was a great plot, and I guessed right on who the bad guy was!  Secondary characters were definitely what made the scenes that much more amusing for me.  Babbage and Squick were hilarious!

For $4.99 I can't complain too much about certain aspects that I personally did not enjoy.  If you liked Wolf at the Door, you probably will enjoy this book, so check it out!


My Favorite Snippet
He rounded on Walker and raised his tiny fists into a boxing stance, fluttering back and forth in a Muhammad Ali meets Tinker Bell impersonation.  "Stand back, loathsome sorcerer!" he shouted.

Fiona seriously considered pulling the sheet up farther.  Like over her head.

Walker raised an eyebrow and looked down at the hovering pixie.  Then he raised the other eyebrow and looked at Fiona.  "He's joking, right?"

"En garde!"


7 comments:

  1. I read Big Bad Wolf and enjoyed it (I didn't realize it was part of a series until I was already reading it). I'd like to start this series from the beginning and see what I think. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, were you confused? I'm pretty sure Big Bad Wolf is further on down the line of the Others books, maybe fourth or fifth?

    It was a good read, I think I definitely would have appreciated it more if I had sat down and read it in one or two days instead of over a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, like Patti, read One Bite with a Stranger (I think is the name off the top of my head - with aid from google, lol) last year... thinking it just one book. Read it, loved it and wanted more... then I started digging and found out it was part of a series... so now I have picked one up here one up there... and I am almost done with the whole thing... When I am complete, I will read it. Great review. Remember honesty is what we (or I) love best! So, thanks for your heartfelt review!!! Hope all goes well with you for school

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Cecile :)

    I try to be as honest as I can without flaming any of the pieces I read, just because I don't want to offend anyone!

    Hope you enjoy the series when you start it ;) And I've heard iffy reviews about Rule's story, just to warn you (it's the third book). Nobody had any issues with him, it was his female that they didn't like. Still debating adding that book to my TBR pile lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads up! And I know what you mean. I mean authors put their heart and soul into these words and it is not my right to down right out criticize them.... just simply state my opinion. And besides, my Mom always said if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all....
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this series. I know the books aren't perfect but I still find the entertaining and worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had a tough time figuring out the poor proofing and editing of some of the book publishers in this genre. I sometimes wonder if they aren't using spell checker as the only proofreader. Really, with all the young people trying to break into publishing, is there an excuse for poor proofing?

    ReplyDelete