A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Book Buying Ban & Selling Books


So umm... I have a problem my lovelies.  It's a problem that I'm sure a lot of you suffer from, one that is threatening me, as I type this, a grisly, bloody death.  Do you know what that problem is?

I have a book addiction.

It's really an ugly addiction, especially because I can never say no when it comes to receiving new books that intrigue me.  I've got about 200+ printed books alone that I still need to read and that are dominating my bedroom.  About half of those are books I would like to eventually review at some point.  Between all the overwhelming reading I need to do, working on my own book I'd love to get published, writing book 2 for the series, and college classes which start... tomorrow... I really have no time to get to everything.

What does that mean?  Well first, I have a huge pile of books that I've read and know I will not re-read.  I also have a lot of books from BEA that I will not be reading either, so I'll need to go through that and sort everything out.  Once I get that done, I'm going to be compiling a list of all the books and I will be selling them.

Here's the plan in regards to getting rid of the books I no longer want:
  • Released books
    $3.00 for shipping costs: US (that includes getting a package to ship the book)
    Paperbacks: $1-2
    Hardcovers: $3-5

  • ARCS
    $3.00 for shipping costs: US (that includes getting a package to ship the book)

  • Shipping in the US
    1-2 books = $3.00
    + .50 cents every book after that.

  • International Shipping
    I'm not entirely sure what the shipping costs will be for everyone outside the US, but I am willing to ship to you all, assuming you guys will cover the extra costs (I don't think it's too much more, but I will find out and include the costs when I post the book list).
     
  • I'll be more than willing to make a deal if people buy books in bulk.  But those are the general costs I'm thinking of. 

    Do you think those are fair prices?

Anywho, so aside from one book that I absolutely must have, I will not be buying any new books, preferably, for the rest of the year... unless it is a title from a favorite author I've been anticipating for some time.  I'm actually pretty good about not buying books, especially because I went on a buying binge when I first started out blogging earlier this year.

So yeah, aside from the books I'll be selling, I will also be participating in the Book Buying Ban hosted by A Girl Reads a Book.  Here are the rules I will *hopefully* be following for the rest of the year:

  1. No buying new books (unless said books is a book I've been salivating for for most of the year [read: favorite author, new title]).
  2. No accepting new review requests unless:
    a) It is a book I was planning on reading at some point in the future anyway;
    b) The title genuinely interests me.  That means no more accepting titles that really don't interest me.  This used to be a problem when I first started out because I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.  I no longer do this now, mind you, and I hope that this will inspire any of you bloggers who have the same problem regarding accepting titles;
    c) I have previously worked with the author and I want to continue with the series.
  3. No more entering giveaways unless it is a book I was planning on reading at some point in the future (hey, can you blame me?  It saves me $$!)
  4. No borrowing books (I'm pretty good about this).
  5. NO BUYING/ENTERING GIVEAWAYS/TRADING BOOKS BECAUSE THEY HAVE A PRETTY COVER

And that's the plan!  Are you going to participate in this ban with me?  I think you should, if you're feeling overwhelmed by your TBR pile!  You can sign up for this event at A Girl Reads a Book.

Expect the book list post coming up sometime soon.  Probably by Friday.

14 comments:

  1. XD I had to laugh at your last stipulation--I have this problem A LOT especially with Urban Fantasy or YA books. Its like 'ohhh I like that sword!' and then I bring it home and put it on the 'pretty covers' shelf and never look at it again (I only have like...two dozen books of this nature...)

    I've made a personal vow to not buy any until I finish at least half my ARC shelf and half my Finished copy shelf. Except for Brandon Sanderson, Maria V. Snyder, Sabrina Jeffries and Zoe Archer. XD

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are fair prices. I am looking forward to your list. Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, I need to stock up for the cold and snowy winter ahead! Cannot wait to see the list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the prices are good, I also have the same problem. I'm really bad about saying no, specially when it's something that sounds interesting to me. Good luck on the Book Buying Ban!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My own personal book fest started about 2 years back and I now have 300 books to read that I bought over that time period, I do not however as yet feel overwhelmed as am reading them 5 or more at a time on a weekly basis.. The problem of course is as I read and more of my series come out they get bought and the number goes right back up...
    That is okay with me at this point because the books will still be good to go as luckily there is no expiration date like there is for milk, I am bad about buying too much milk and not drinking it too!

    Good Luck Tori and cannot wait to see your loot that you have for sale!

    jackie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire you! I think I'm doing pretty well right now since a lot of my reading for the past few months has been comprised mostly of library books. I might be on the road to a future problem though! It's so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I think I'm intimidated because the pile doubled thanks to BEA. I want to have things back under conrol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait! :)

    And, WTH is with the pig in chains? I don't get it. :/ lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going through it now.... I'll take a picture and link it on Twitter so you can see the mess of my old book pile.

    And the pig in chains signifies a piggy bank, methinks. At least, that's what I thought when I first saw it lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's the books I'm currently trying to go through (everything you see are books from HS to before I started blogging)

    http://tweetphoto.com/41359396
    http://tweetphoto.com/41359577

    ReplyDelete
  11. looking forward to looking at what books you are selling!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was doing the book buying ban, and I was very good in August with no books, and just 1 in July. With that said, I'm looking forward to your sale, because I think I deserve a reward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay I love getting new books! I cant wait for your list! Be expecting me to get a lot!

    i mean... a LOT! no kidding! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOh! This sounds like fun and those are awesome prices. I just took a peek at your book piles and wow! So familiar, hehe.

    Tori, you are a stronger gal than I because I just cannot say no when it comes to books!

    Alas, I'll be awaiting the juicy list. :-D

    ReplyDelete