A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

(Day 18) Guest Post: Alexandra Ivy

Photobucket

"I’m not exactly sure when I fell in love with books.  Probably on my mother’s knee listening to her read Dr. Seuss to me.  I do remember that I was barely old enough to cross the street by myself when I discovered the delights of the local library.  Could anything be more wonderful than spending summer days surrounded by stacks of Nancy Drew mysteries?  Over the years I fell in love with Victoria Holt, Jane Austen, Agatha Christie, and J.R.R. Tolkien just to name a few.  I read poetry, essays, biographies, and plays.  In fact, I read anything I could get my hands on. 
 

Years later (no, I’m not admitting how many) I’m still an avid reader, and my tastes are still as varied as they were in my youth, which I suppose helps to explain why I enjoy writing regency historicals under the name of Deborah Raleigh, as well as my contemporary paranormals as Alexandra Ivy.   For now that is enough to keep me busy, but who knows what the future might hold!
 
I do have a few other loves in my life besides reading and writing, the most important being my unbelievably patient husband, David, and my two sons, Chance and Alexander.  Without their constant support and belief in me, I never could have been able to follow my dreams.  They are truly my heroes." 
 
Courtesy of Alexandra's website.

Connect with Alexandra:
Website | Blog | Goodreads


What qualities are heroines required to possess in order to be deemed a strong female lead?
Alex: When I think of a strong female she doesn't necessarily have to be Lara Croft or Mother Teresa.  She can be the mother who works two jobs to take care of her kids, or the daughter who cares for her parents even when she's worn out caring for her own family.  It's a woman who faces the challenges of life with dignity and a refusal to feel sorry for herself.

Are heroines required to be kick ass or independent in order to be considered a strong lead?
Alex:  Absolutely not.  It's wonderful to climb to the top of the mountain, but I've always respected those who take the time to help others make that climb :)

Why is it okay for the male in the story to sleep with multiple partners, but the heroine has to be virginal?
Alex:  Eek.  I have to admit that I don't like that story line :(  A man who can't remain committed (whether he's a vamp, a Were, or a human) isn't much of a hero.  I love the idea of a true mating where the couple are incapable of cheating.

Are tattooed, leather clad heroines overused now in books?
Alex:  I'm not sure if they're overused, but I do think the field is wide open for a new kind of female lead.  I might be alone in my tastes...which wouldn't be the first time...:)  but I love nerds!  I'm tinkering with a new series that would include intelligence as a super power!

Do you feel that there are a lot of redheads in paranormal books?  If so, why is this particular hair color more popular than the rest?
Alex:  An interesting question...hmmmm.  I think it could be because we always think of redheads as being fiesty and quick to anger.  They certainly are never portrayed as doormats!






Want to win a copy of Beyond the Darkness, book 6 in the Guardians of Eternity series?



Salvatore Giuliani is not a happy werewolf. It’s his duty as leader to track down the pureblood females who can keep his people from extinction. But the moment he catches scent of Harley, a pureblood held by a pack of mangy curs, his savage need for her obliterates all other instincts. And the only thing worse than being captured is finding that beautiful, independent Harley defiantly refuses to become his mate.

Harley has been taught to distrust all Weres, especially their arrogant king. She won’t be used for breeding or bonded against her will, not even to a man who makes every nerve tingle with awareness. Yet Salvatore is her key to saving the family she never knew she had—if she dares to succumb to his dark, predatory desire, and face a vicious enemy sworn to destroy them both…


Giveaway Guidelines:
  1. Open to US only.
  2. Fill out the form below.
  3. Giveaway ends 9/4.  Be sure to check back after that and see if you've won!  I will not be emailing winners after they are announced on the blog.  Winners will have 48 hours to respond before a new winner is picked.
Extra Entries:
  • [+1] Tweeting about this giveaway

Being a blog follower is not required, yet is extremely appreciated!


6 comments:

  1. Some good answers. I liked the different aspect to what qualifies as a strong heroine here. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your books - I share them with my daughter. It's nice to have an author as a "family favorite." Nice interview - keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous interview and Dr. Seuss definitely brings back some good reading memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Just wanted to say I Love All your books..
    Please keep writing..
    Faithful reader..
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't like this book nearly as much as I usually like Ivy's books. Plus the cover looks like the model has Wolverine claws (cool but distracting).

    ReplyDelete