A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Friday, August 20, 2010

Tori's Review: Demon from the Dark by Kresley Cole


A DANGEROUS DEMON SHE CAN'T RESIST . . .

Malkom Slaine: tormented by his sordid past and racked by vampiric hungers, he's pushed to the brink by the green-eyed beauty under his guard.

A MADDENING WITCH HE ACHES TO CLAIM . . .

Carrow Graie: hiding her own sorrows, she lives only for the next party or prank. Until she meets a tortured warrior worth saving.

TRAPPED TOGETHER IN A SAVAGE PRISON . . .

In order for Malkom and Carrow to survive, he must unleash both the demon and vampire inside him. When Malkom becomes the nightmare his own people feared, will he lose the woman he craves body and soul?


Obtained: Author
Genre:
Paranormal Romance
Series:
Immortals After Dark
Anthology: Playing Easy to Get
1. A Hunger Like No Other
2. No Rest for the Wicked
3. Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night
4. Dark Deeds at Night's Edge
5. Dark Desires After Dusk
6. Kiss of a Demon King
Deep Kiss of Winter (book review)
7. Pleasure of a Dark Prince

8. Demon from the Dark
9. Dreams of a Dark Warrior (book review)

My Rating:

My Opinion:
I always know, without a doubt, that when I crack open a book written by the talented Kresley Cole, I will absolutely adore it. How can I not? She's created numerous witty and tortured characters who have made me laugh hysterically with their wacky banter and tear up in sympathy when they struggle to overcome their pasts and differences. She's created characters who never cease to grow old in my eyes. She created Scottish werewolves, who are pretty much the coolest creation in the paranormal world!

Of course it would be no surprise, then, that I would enjoy DEMON FROM THE DARK. What was surprising? That I enjoyed Carrow and Malkom almost as much as Mariketa and Bowen (who are THE ultimate PNR couple for me folks, they're the main characters in the book I've read about 9 times now that I've been going on and on about). So much, in fact, that I can guarantee you all I will be reading this particular story at least one more time this year.

I received DEMON FROM THE DARK courtesy of Kresley and her wonderful manager, Brooke, about a week before the release. I read it in two days--well, more like two nights. Carrow and Malkom were there for my entertainment when I needed a bit (okay, a lot) of cheering up. Their story helped distract me for hours on end. Their story made me smile. It made me laugh. It finally coaxed me into a relaxed state after hearing some bad family news. When the book and its characters have the ability to do that, one knows it's a keeper. 

I'll admit I was somewhat worried when Ruby entered into Carrow's chaotic life. I primarily enjoyed Carrow's character because she and Mari were crazy. They're modern. They love to have fun. To suddenly have her transform from some crazy bachelorette into a protective, motherly figure... well, I thought it was going to be weird. Then I started worrying that she was going to become tame and boring.

This was not the case.

In fact, upon first meeting Malkom, Carrow is anything but tame. She's feisty and crazy and knows how to stand her ground. I loved the initial interactions betwixt the two. Loved how Kresley created an additional barrier that would make said interactions that much more difficult and taxing. It was both a unique and interesting approach, one that was skillfully accomplished and left me craving for more of those entertaining experiences.

Malkom is the epitome of an angsty alpha and I can't help but love him for it. He's just so... I don't even know how to describe him! Take the qualities of a protective, sweet, and caring individual and wrap them all up in a sexy package and that's Malkom for you. Chances are, you will absolutely adore him in the first half of the book when he gets to know Carrow. As for the second? Well, I think my sympathy split between the hero and heroine then.  (And you should tell me if the same thing happened to you!)

I wasn't entirely thrilled with the way he treated Carrow later in the book, nor was I entirely happy with the way she simply put up with said behavior. For some reason, I expected her to stand her ground instead of being so timid. But hey, she did what she had to do to get her man back, so I can deal.

The plot is, like any of the other Immortals After Dark books, unique. What's even more exciting is the fact that Mariketa--my favorite heroine ever--had a few scenes in her point of view. Readers also, towards the end of the book, get reunited with quite a few of the other heroes and heroines from past books in this series. I always love when an author re-explores older characters and reassures readers that they haven't grown tame and... boring. Nope, these ladies were anything but tame!

Although I received an ARC of DEMON FROM THE DARK, I've got the final copy pre-ordered (along with Larissa Ione's SIN UNDONE). I eagerly anticipate receiving both next week, and cannot wait to dig into this story once again when I get a craving to explore this unique and interesting story line. For all you Kresley fans out there, DEMON FROM THE DARK does not disappoint. You love your heroes with tortured pasts? Malkom is as tortured as they come. You love your heroines to have a bit of spunk and feisty-ness? Carrow's your girl.

And for all of you unfamiliar with the Immortals After Dark series? What the hell are you waiting for? Jump on the bandwagon, because you guys are seriously missing out.


8 comments:

  1. Oh yum, I would like a little of that book with my coffee this morning. Nice, thanx I will have to start up his series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy it! :) Definitely one of the best PNR series out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got this book yesterday for review. Can't wait to get started and I agree with you. Anyone who hasn't started this series needs to get to it.


    Stephanie G
    Paranormal Haven

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh congrats & enjoy! It's one of my favs of 2010 by far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been so excited for this book! I have this and Sin Undone preordered for my Kindle. Can't wait to start reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the paperbacks pre-ordered :) Both books are definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. DFTD is now my all time favorite Kresley book. I cannot wait for Regin's in February. That's going to be a tough one if you think about who her mate is going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Second for me, Wicked Deeds holds a special place in my heart... but Carrow and Malkom definitely are giving Mari and Bowen a run for their money!

    I can't wait for Regin's story either. Especially because of who her mate is.

    ReplyDelete