A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tori's Review: Sin Undone by Larissa Ione


HER TOUCH IS DEADLY
 

As the only female Seminus demon ever born, master assassin Sinead Donnelly is used to being treated like an outcast. She spent decades enslaved, and now vows she’ll die before she’ll relinquish her freedom again. Then Sin’s innate ability to kill her enemies goes awry: She creates a lethal new werewolf virus that sparks a firestorm of panic and violence.
 

HIS HUNGER CAN’T BE DENIED
 

Half-werewolf, half-vampire Conall Dearghul is charged with bringing in Sin to face punishment for the plague. And she’s no stranger: He’s bound to her by blood, and the one sexual encounter they shared has left him hungering for her raw sensuality. Worse, Sin is the underworld’s most wanted and Con soon learns he’s the only one who can help her . . . and that saving her life might mean sacrificing his own.

Obtained: Bought
Genre:
Paranormal Romance
Series:
Demonica
1. Pleasure Unbound (book review)
2. Desire Unchained (book review)
3. Passion Unleashed (book review)
4. Ecstasy Unveiled (book review)
5. Sin Undone

My Rating:

My Opinion:
Wow... How on earth do I give the awesomeness of this book justice in my review? I think it's taken me three hours, at least, to finally think of something to say.

I enjoyed SIN UNDONE. I adored Sin and Con and the dynamics of their relationship. I loved the way Larissa skillfully weaved problem after problem into the book without ever making me sick of all the drama. (Let me tell you, there was a lot. I actually gave a sigh in relief when everything was finally resolved.) And most importantly: I love how Sin's origins--how she's the only female Seminus demon--is explained. Yeah, it was brief, but it worked.

But primarily? I adored Sin and Con.

I'll admit, I was curious about how the two were going to connect as a couple and resolve all their issues. Con had to have issues, otherwise, the pairing wouldn't have been convincing. Not when Sin's past was so messed up. In this regard, readers are not let down. Con's got emotional baggage up the wazoo, just like Sin. It definitely made for an interesting read, that's for sure.

Unlike other paranormal romance series, Larissa continually reconnected readers with her past couples. That is something I find fairly important while I'm reading. Usually, when I'm reading other series, I start to ask myself questions such as: are these past couples dead? Is the current couple living on a deserted island away from civilization? What the hell happened to the past heroes I used to drool over!?  (okay so maybe I don't think so much about the first two questions... but the last one is fairly important)  I mean, older characters/couples were painstakingly created, why not bring them back for a quick scene or two? Well, Larissa did that, and so much more. They became an integral part of the storyline... much like every other book in this series.

There was sap with the reunions, yes, and usually sap will make me cringe, but I felt it was necessary for SIN UNDONE... especially because this book was also the end. We, as readers, participated in a family's journey. First with Eidolon, then with Shade, Wraith, Lore, and finally with Sin. And I must say, the journey was draining, heartbreaking, heartwarming, gut wrenching, holy-shit-I'm-going-to-bite-all-my-nails-off dramatic, sappy, lovey dovey, and AMAZING.

For some reason, though, I wanted to see more fighting in this book. Especially because Sin's the leader of the Assassin's Den. I mean, there was a lot of fighting, but I wanted a little bit more. I think it's because I had a True Blood marathon for three days straight.  Right before reading this book... Yeeah.

Oh and before I forget: Luc's in this story! If you're like me and you were rooting for this poor were's HEA, prepare yourselves, because you're gonna get it.

SIN UNDONE is a stellar finish to a wonderful series that I am somewhat sad to see go. I say somewhat because, while I will miss the Demonica series, I cannot WAIT for Larissa's spinoff series with the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. If you buy this book, I highly suggest checking out the preview of ETERNAL RIDER, book 1 of the Lords of Deliverance series coming out in March 2011.

As for SIN UNDONE? Well, I already think highly of this series, and Sin and Con's story is one you would regret missing out on. All five books were definitely worth their price and time.


11 comments:

  1. Wow, i love your posts!! Would you like to participate in my Bookish Ninja blog thingy? I'm here to personally invite you.

    http://imabookishninja.blogspot.com/2010/08/overview.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this series on my to-read list. It sounds like a really good series, thanks for sharing your review. Is this a stand alone book or should I definitely start at book 1?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this book - I love the Demonica series - it's sad that this is the last book but I guess you couldn't have brothers keep magically appearing ;) Though the Lords of Deliverance series sounds like it will be a good one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I can't wait to read it! Hopefully I'm getting it tomorrow!!! *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ninja, I'll check it out :)

    Tanya, you'll probably want to start at book 1. Most of the books do give explanations of past events, but everything's interconnected. You'll probably be sitting there wondering what the hell is going on if you start out of order. Plus, I don't think you'll truly appreciate all the relationships and events out of order, but that's just me ;)

    Heather, AHHH YOU'RE GONNA LOVE IT! And holy crap once you read the snippet for the LoD series, you're going to be super excited! Larissa gave a few little teasers throughout SIN UNDONE which was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Squee! :) I'm so glad you liked it!!! OMG, you just made my day. Seriously. It's been a rough one, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an excellent job! Thanks for creating such lovable characters.

    *hugs* Glad my review cheered you up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the best parts of reading a series is when an author gives us glimpses of past characters. Love that Larissa does that in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey honey, popping in to see how you are doing... and wow. What an awesome review honey!!! I have not started this one yet... Yet. I said!!!!!!
    Hugs to you honey!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey girl! I'm good, how are you? :)

    You should def read this series ASAP - so worth it

    ReplyDelete