A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Monday, May 3, 2010

Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione



In a place where ecstasy can cost you your life . . .

She's a demon-slayer who hungers for sensual pleasure-but fears it will always be denied her. Until Tayla Mancuso lands in a hospital run by demons in disguise, and the head doctor, Eidolon, makes her body burn with unslakable desire. But to prove her ultimate loyalty to her peers, she must betray the surgeon who saved her life.


Two lovers will dare to risk all.

Eidolon cannot resist this fiery, dangerous woman who fills him with both rage and passion. Not only is she his avowed enemy, but she could very well be the hunter who has been preying upon his people. Torn between his need for the truth and his quest to find his perfect mate before a horrific transformation claims him forever, Eidolon will dare the unthinkable-and let Tayla possess him, body and soul...
Obtained: I won a copy courtesy of Sue Grimshaw and her Borders True Romance blog.
Genre:
Paranormal Romance
Series: Demonica
1. Pleasure Unbound
2. Desire Unchained (book review)
3. Passion Unleashed (book review)
4. Ecstasy Unveiled (book review)
5. Sin Undone (book review)
My Rating:
I never thought I would stumble upon a paranormal romance series that I adored from book 1.  This book has a strong couple, witty dialogue, and a great story line.

Story:
Enter Tayla: a demon-slayer with more emotional baggage than anyone could fathom.  After being badly injured, this young woman wakes up to the image of the sexiest doctor.  Ever.  Imagine her delight when the two begin having sex in her hospital room.

That delight soon turns to disgust and horror upon realizing she just had sex with a demon.  A sexy, drool-worthy demon doctor who saved her life and is the only one keeping the other demons at bay.  Tayla is now forced to struggle with the harsh decision of betraying the one who saved her life (and who conveniently turns her into jello whenever he so much as looks at her), or betraying the group of demon-slayers she's devoted her life to working with.

What I think:
Could you ever imagine demons as doctors?  Crazy, I know, but Larissa has combined two of her passions in life to weave together an intricate tale of love, suspense, and so much sexual tension you could cut through it with a butter knife.

Tayla is a heroine that I adored from the start.  She wasn't gentle, and she wasn't weak.  In fact, if you called her weak, she would probably give you a bloody nose...with a smile on her face.  She is the type of character who will kick your ass if you make her mad, evident through the number of butt kickings that occurred throughout Pleasure Unbound.  She is also the type of character who offers the most amusement upon being pursued by a man. 

Eidolon, on the other hand, is a gentle doctor: the epitome of self-control and respect.  Yet all of that flies straight out the window the second Tayla saunters--or more like is carted--onto his radar.  While not an alpha male (which is weird for me, because I love love love stories with alpha males), he held his own and knew when to stand his ground.

The romance was not sappy, and it was definitely believable.  Both characters had vulnerabilities and strong personalities, despite their different, shaky pasts.

Overall, Ione has created a fun and interesting world.  While it takes a tiny bit of time to grow adjusted to the new terminology introduced in Pleasure Unbound, it was completely worth it.  It is unique, and you will be glued from first page all the way until the last.



17 comments:

  1. Karen: I'm kind of getting sick of the same old formula so this might be the twist I'm looking for. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tori: Yeah Larissa doesn't follow the typical formula--if she does, then I barely notice because I'm so absorbed with her characters and world. You will notice a similar trend throughout her books, but honestly, they're extremely well written and loaded with action, drama, sexual tension, humor, and sexy incubi that it is easy to overlook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larissa Ione: Yay!!!! So glad you liked it! Tay and E are pretty special to me, so I love it when they work for readers. Especially since I know Tayla grates on some people. :)

    Okay, but now I have to email you to find out what the trend is! Ack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tori: Eep! Calling it a trend was a bad choice of words on my part. It's not so much a trend as it is me getting scared while I read each book. So I guess it is a trend in a way because I get scared, but there's no predictable approach to your boys wooing their women. You know what, forget I said anything about a trend, I'm just a chicken-wuss.

    I also admit that there were some moments where I wanted to strangle Tayla for being so...difficult, but the two of them were a terrific start for your series :) I HATE it when a series starts off with this timid little girl who "calms the beast." How about a chick who kicks the beast's ass? Yeah!

    And omg you cheater! I thought you said last night that you were suspending yourself from Twitter until you reached your word count! I'm telling on you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larissa Ione: LOL -- I'm suspended! But I remembered that today was day one of Demonica week, so I had to come check your blog! I'm still 1K away from my goal. *sobs*

    Okay, whew on the trend! Though people have pointed out that I tend to chain up heroes a lot... *blushes* Yeah, I do that...am writing another one now. Heh. I'll see if I can NOT do that in the next book! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tori: Aww *hugs* You can do it! Lemme know if I needa bust out the pom poms!

    I think I was too busy drooling over Wraith and Luc to really notice the chains thing, but now that you've pointed it out.... Chaining up heroes isn't necessarily a BAD thing. Seems like it would be something demons would enjoy doing Lmao!

    By the wayyyyy.... are you gonna write a side story for Luc? *puppy dog eyes*
    If what happened to him at UGH was going to be permanent, I was going to cry LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cecile: Oh honey.... your review is awesome!!! I have this whole series and can not wait to start reading it. And your review have pushed it that much closer to my hands!!! Thanks! And Ms Larissa rocks!!!! Her commenting here was awesome!
    That is what makes the little things!!!
    I know you are having a great day now!!!! Hugs to you honey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tori: HEY Cecile!! How are you? :) Gogogogo read it! I'd love to hear what you think about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Twimom: Yea! This is one of my FAVORITE series!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilda: Favorite series :] You gotta read all the books, they're totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tori: Just finished the 4th book tonight. I tried to delay the inevitable, but I have to write a review so I couldn't prolong it lol *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bella f: Tori, I love this series and really loved Lore and Sin! I'm excited about Sin Undone b/c I can't wait to see how she gets outta her bad situation, and I liked that vampire she meets, lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tori: Me too! Wraith was my favorite, but after reading about Lore, Wraith and Luc definitely have a rival for my affections in this series. And Con was.... WOW. Cannot wait for his story with Sin :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sabrina: Great review.
    I will get my copy today, I just had to order "Pleasure Unbound" after I heard so many good things about the Demonica sereis.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is in my TBR pile! I've put it off for awhile though... I think I'll get into it soon.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete