A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Desire Unchained by Larissa Ione


Pleasure is their ultimate weapon . . .

Runa Wagner never meant to fall in love with the sexy stranger who seemed to know her every deepest desire. But she couldn’t resist the unbelievable passion that burned between them, a passion that died when she discovered his betrayal and found herself forever changed. Now, determined to make Shade pay for the transformation that haunts her, Runa searches for him, only to be taken prisoner by his darkest enemy.

A Seminus demon with a love-curse that threatens him with eternal torment, Shade hoped he’d seen the last of Runa and her irresistible charm. But when he wakes up in a dank dungeon chained next to an enraged and mysteriously powerful Runa, he realizes that her effect on him is more dangerous than ever. As their captor casts a spell that bonds them as lifemates, Shade and Runa must fight for their lives and their hearts—or succumb to a madman’s evil plans.

Obtained:
I won a copy courtesy of Sue Grimshaw and her Borders True Romance blog.
Genre:
Paranormal Romance
Series: Demonica
1. Pleasure Unbound (book review)
2. Desire Unchained
3. Passion Unleashed (book review)
4. Ecstasy Unveiled (book review)
5. Sin Undone (book review)
My Rating:
I'm borderline really liking/loving this story.

Story:
Runa dated Shade one year ago.  Being human, she had no idea what kind of life he really lived.  What she did know?  He was amazing in bed.  Plus, the aftershock orgasms after they slept together were to die for.

Everything was great... until she walked in on her lover with two women, and not just any women.  One of them had fangs and had been drinking Shade's blood.  Was it just her, or did he have golden eyes too?

Fast forward one year and now she's trapped in a dungeon with the cheating bastard.  Things can't seem to get any worse, until the two realize that they've been bonded.  If she really understood what that meant, she would probably have freaked out, but as it is, Shade and Runa are going to have to work together to escape this hellish dungeon....otherwise they'll both suffer a fate worse than raging hormones and sexual frustration.

What I think:
Ione really knows how to create kick ass females.  Both Runa and Tayla did not take any of the garbage that Shade and Eidolon dished out.  I found it hilarious how Runa would make Shade speechless.  Here is a male obsessed with control, and this little female starts barking at him about how he has to make her do whatever it is that he wants.  Runa constantly dispels this former image that her past lover had of her, revealing just how much of a backbone she's grown over a year's time.

What I didn't like: Wraith's antics at the end of the book and Kynan's little twist. 

Wraith's story is the one I'm anticipating most, and I was somewhat disappointed to read about what he did.  Despite my disappointment, I cannot ignore the fact that Desire Unchained promoted so much character growth.  Initially, while reading Pleasure Unbound, I thought Wraith was annoying.  He was damaged due to a tortured past--and I harshly labeled him as the typical damaged goods.  However, as the plot developed in book 1, I soon began to realize that there was something more to this peculiar vamp.  Then, upon reading Shade's story, I grew to adore Wraith's antics.  He was a trouble maker--a source of entertainment while amid his tense and serious brothers.

Then there was Kynan's twist...which made me want to fling my book against the wall.  Typically, I am torn when a PNR shifts its attention away from the leading male and female.  The sexual tension betwixt Kynan and Gem is a nice little addition, but I feel as if their story draws my attention away from Shade and Runa's on more than one occasion.  I admit that sometimes, it is nice when readers are granted another character's POV, but I felt that Kynan/Gem deserve their own book, not short snippets.  That's just me though :)

Other than those two points, I absolutely adored Shade and Runa, maybe even more than I did Eidolon and Tayla.  I have a feeling that Wraith's story (which I'm reading next!) will top both of these brothers.  If you haven't started this series yet, it is definitely one you will want to add to your TBR pile, you won't regret it!



12 comments:

  1. DarklyReading: I loved this book..I like how Runa changed into a feisty and tough woman after her change to a werewolf. I love Gem - I wish she could have her own book - and Kynan was such a turd in this book! I kinda like their side story though - probably because I'm a big fan of the gothy demon :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tori: Oh yeah... Kynan was a jerk at times. I felt so bad for Gem!

    If Runa had been even slightly timid, I don't think that this story wouldn't have been as successful as it is. Props to Larissa for realizing that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiger: Quite agree on several points! I didn't like Wraith in E's book, but he grew on me, and his sorta-comic relief was absolutely indespensible. And Kynan and Gem /really/ needed their own book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larissa Ione: Glad you liked it! :) This is the book out of the four so far that people seem to either love or hate...

    Ky and Gem...I wish I could have given them their own book. The problem was that when I sold the series, I only sold three books, and because I was a brand new, untested author, I wasn't guaranteed more books. So although I had a plan for five books from the start, I didn't sell the fourth and fifth until after Passion Unleashed was finished, so I had to write Ky and Gem's romance as a running subplot. And actually, they still have some stuff going on in the new series. *g*

    Larissa, who isn't really here, because she has not reached today's word count yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tori: Do they ever give you a reason for why they don't like it? I can see why they would love it, but I'm not getting the whole hate-vibe. I will admit that out of the 4 books thus far, this one is my least favorite of them all. I'm not really sure why, either.

    And dooo they now? *cackles* That's really good, though! I was kind of sad when the two of them didn't get explored further.

    Did you ever meet yesterday's word count? I hope you did, and good luck with today's! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larissa Ione: I think the reason DU tends to be people's least favorite is because it's so dark and violent. It's definitely the darkest of the five. It's funny, because when I was plotting the series, I really thought Wraith's book would be the darkest, and turns out, it's the lightest!

    And yup...Ky definitely plays a big role in the new series, so he and Gem get lots of updates. Even though they didn't get their own book, I figure that by the time all is said and done, they'll have the same number of pages as if they did. :)

    *sobs* I didn't make word count yesterday. And I'm actually at negative count today. I'm really going to have to buckle down for the rest of the week to catch up. The planets are just not aligning for me, darn it! o.0

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tori: That makes sense. Shade and Runa are more on the serious side. Maybe that's why!

    How much are you making yourself write a day?

    I think you need to bribe yourself. If you get your word count for the rest of the week then pop open a bottle of wine. Or go on a cookie binge. Or do a night of pampering for yourself...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Larissa Ione: LOL -- I'm SO bribing myself. Every day!

    My goal is 2.5K...which normally isn't a problem, except that I bogged myself down, so I'm having to go back and fix/flesh, and that takes longer than writing new material. But I should be able to get back on track by tomorrow. I hope!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cecile: Okay I skimmed the review cuz I will be reading this series soooonnn. I promise!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna: I skimmed too because I will be reading this series soon. Seriously, the first book should arrive any day now. =)

    ReplyDelete