A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Monday, May 17, 2010

The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter


His powers -- Inhuman
His passion -- Beyond immortal . . .

All her life, Ashlyn Darrow has been tormented by voices from the past. To end the nightmare, she has come to Budapest seeking help from men rumored to have supernatural abilities, not knowing she'll be swept into the arms of Maddox, their most dangerous member -- a man trapp ed in a hell of his own.


Neither can resist the instant hunger than calms their torments . . . and ignites an irresistible passion. But every heated touch and burning kiss will edge them closer to destruction -- and a soul-shattering test of love . . .



Obtained: Bought
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series:
Lords of the Underworld
1.  The Darkest Night
2.  The Darkest Kiss (book review)
3.  The Darkest Pleasure (book review)
4.  The Darkest Whisper (book review)
5.  The Darkest Passion (book review)
My Rating:
Re-read this story.  It was just as good as I remembered.

Story:
Maddox is the keeper of Violence, a demon that causes the poor immortal to be susceptible to fits of rage.  Cursed to repeat the same ministrations of a death every single night for the rest of eternity, it's no wonder that Maddox is feeling a bit moody.

All that seems to change, however, when he meets the mysterious and gentle Ashlyn.  She appears to be a normal human being, but there's something unique about her--and not just the way she soothes Violence, either.

My Opinion:
I had originally stumbled upon Gena's writing through Kresley Cole.  Being an rabid avid IAD fan, and since it was suggested to check out this new Lords of the Underworld series, I bought the first book. 

Even in 2008, I understood the first time I read The Darkest Night that I had stumbled upon an amazing author with major potential, and an equally amazing storyline.  This is one of the most unique series that I have come across while reading paranormal romances.  Add that with the fact that these heroes are sexy, sexy men, and you've got yourself a recipe for lots of smitten readers. 

Ashlyn is delicate and peaceful--the perfect counter to the keeper of Violence.  This gentle, almost motherly nature worked for the story, however I remained somewhat unsatisfied.  I enjoy my heroines when they are tough, outspoken, and crazy.  Despite my preferences to kick-ass female leads, I could not help but like Ashlyn anyway.  She wormed her way into my heart.

Maddox was delicious.  He is the first of the males in this series that you encounter, and he does not disappoint.  It was such an interesting approach by making someone who was so susceptible to violent rampages to be overly protective of those he held dear.  The way he acts around Ashlyn made my heart melt.  What a guy!

Overall, while some may not prefer the docile feminine lead, The Darkest Night is a fantastic start to a sizzling hot series you would regret not reading.


0 comments:

Post a Comment