A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Darkest Whisper by Gena Showalter


Bound by the demon of Doubt, Sabin unintentionally destroys even the most confident of lovers.

So the immortal warrior spends his time on the battlefield instead of the bedroom, victory his only concern until he meets Gwendolyn the Timid. One taste of the beautiful redhead, and he craves more.

Gwen, an immortal herself, always thought she'd fall for a kind human who wouldn't rouse her darker side. But when Sabin frees her from prison, battling their enemies for the claim to Pandora's box turns out to be nothing compared to the battle Sabin and Gwen will wage against love.


Obtained: Bought
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series:
Lords of the Underworld
1.  The Darkest Night (book review)
2.  The Darkest Kiss (book review)
3.  The Darkest Pleasure (book review)
4.  The Darkest Whisper 
5.  The Darkest Passion (book review)
My Rating:
Really, 4.5?  I'm shocked.  Scroll down and see why!

Story:
Gwendolyn the Timid is a harpy searching for normalcy.  Normalcy, however, dances just out of her reach, only to fizzle away upon a certain encounter with Hunters.  Now, Gwen is trapped, forced into captivity, and too weary to free herself.

Lucky for her, Sabin and the immortal warriors are there to save the day.  Or maybe she's not so lucky.  When the Keeper of Doubt and the young Harpy lock gazes, all else seems to fade away.  Now Sabin is determined to convince the young woman to join in the fight against the Hunters, no matter what the cost.

My Opinion:
I didn't know much about Gwen, and I admit, I was not interested in Sabin's story.  When this second group of warriors were introduced to the series, Sabin was my least favorite of them all.  He was arrogant, seemingly selfish, and annoying.  I actually skipped the fourth book, deciding to read it after Aeron's story (due to my curiosity about Harpies, and holes in the story for me since I missed a whole book's worth of events).

I am an idiot for waiting this long to read The Darkest Whisper.  Who would have thought that Sabin would suddenly become one of my favorite characters?  Definitely not me.  Initially I found myself rolling my eyes as I read the first few pages in his point of view.  He was exactly as I remembered him.... until he and Gwen crossed paths.  Then I was smitten.  Hello sexy alpha male.

This book also made me dislike Paris a bit more.  Sienna is one of those characters that simply irked me--Hunter or not.  Initially I was in love with the Keeper of Promiscuity...until he fell for her.  I think it's because she was so cruel, and sounded plain and boring.  With him pining after her, and turning into a recluse, a part of me grew disappointed.  Here was a character full of such vitality.  Now without this woman, he's transformed into a shade of his former self.  Granted this was intentional, and I probably feel the same way Aeron does, but... I guess it's all part of Gena's evil master plan, and their reunion--if there is one--will be bittersweet and heartbreaking.

Anyway, I find it amazing how my favorites have changed so often throughout the series.  As of right now, Strider (whose story I need NOW) and Aeron are tied for first, Sabin for second, Gideon's third, and then Paris is fourth.

Gwen is also one of the female heroines that I adore now.  Her transformation throughout the course of The Darkest Whisper was not only astonishing, but also awe inspiring.  Here is this timid woman who rejects her identity, preferring normalcy over all else.  Now she has become a figure even the demon Doubt might hesitate to mess with.  She is the perfect fit for Sabin personality-wise, in the bedroom, and in regards to leadership.  Love it!

I was depressed when this book concluded.  Now I have no more Lords to read about until Gideon's story comes out.  Those of you, however, who have not read this series need to start ASAP--you are seriously missing out on a masterpiece.


1 comment:

  1. I am way behind on checking here, but dang, I am so looking forward to reading this book.

    I think I would choose Pain. None of them would be easy to carry though.

    Great series!!!

    ReplyDelete