A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tori's Review: Being Jamie Baker by Kelly Oram


Obtained: ARC Tour
Genre: YA
Series:
1. Being Jamie Baker

Jamies's Website
Buy via Amazon

Paperback - 360 pages
Price: $10.99
ISBN-10: 0615377548
ISBN-13: 978-0615377544
Released: June 14, 2010










An accident that should end in tragedy instead gives seventeen-year-old Jamie Baker a slew of uncontrollable superhuman abilities.

To keep her secret safe Jamie socially exiles herself, earning the title of Rocklin High’s resident ice queen. But during a supercharged encounter with star quarterback Ryan Miller she literally kisses anonymity goodbye. Now the annoyingly irresistible Ryan will stop at nothing to melt the heart of the ice queen and find out what makes her so special.

Unfortunately, Ryan is not the only person on to her secret. Will Jamie learn to contain her unstable powers before being discovered by the media or turned into a government lab rat?

More importantly, can she throw Ryan Miller off her trail before falling in love with him?



My Rating:

My Opinion:

I was eagerly anticipating BEING JAMIE BAKER when I saw it pop up on Around the World ARC Tours.  In fact, saying that the back cover blurb intrigued me would probably be a huge understatement.  For some reason, I was craving for a high school read with a cute boy interested in a potentially kick ass heroine.

I loved how Ryan acted with Jamie.  I loved their interactions in general.  The two were beyond adorable.  I actually found myself sighing in jealousy quite a few times.  Imagine having the popular boy in high school taking a keen interest in you.  And then discovering that he's a sweetheart to boot?  Oh boy.

The kiss scene between the two made me crack up into hysterical laughter.  It was just so... unexpected.  And then, of course, Ryan acted the way he did after said scene which of course, brings me back to a full circle gushing about the kid.

Then something happened.  About halfway through the book, the reading went from fun and enjoyable to dragging on and on and on.  I was so tempted to close the book at one point, despite my curiosity about the outcome of this tale.  As it was, I did end up skipping quite a few pages.  They simply became repetitive and slightly boring for me.

But let me tell you, I did not regret finishing the book.  While the ending was slightly weird--especially with who the villain was--I kind of enjoyed it.  I think that BEING JAMIE BAKER is the type of read that is truly enjoyable when you're craving for a book like the back cover's blurb.  But if you're looking for a YA read that will keep you hanging from the edge of your seat?  This wasn't the one for me.

    2 comments: