A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Friday, September 3, 2010

Tori's Review: The Uncrowned King by Rowena Cory Daniells



Rolencia’s ancestral enemy, Merofynia, has invaded and marches on King Rolen’s castle. Powerless to help, thirteen year old Piro watches as her father, King Rolen, listens to poisoned whispers concerning his son Byren.

How could the King doubt his second son? Determined to prove his loyalty, Byren races across the path of the advancing army to ask the Abbot to send the warrior monks in defense of the castle.








Obtained: Author
Genre: Fantasy
Series:
King Rolen's Kin
1. The King's Bastard (book review)
2. The Uncrowned King
3. The Usurper (book review)
My Rating:

My Opinion:
Ah, THE UNCROWNED KING... If you read my review of book 1 in the King Rolen's Kin series, you know that I was eagerly awaiting the second book. Imagine my dismay when the entire month of August passed with me being unable to read what happened next until the very end. Now imagine my delight when I finally could read it (I was doing a bit of a happy dance in my seat, if you couldn't imagine said delight).

I will admit, I did enjoy the first book better. Setting the scene, learning about the world/characters, and having a front row seat to all the drama was entertaining. When I cracked open book 2--which is my favorite cover for the entire series, though I think my vote is biased since my favorite color is red--I was eagerly anticipating what would happen next. Especially with that cliffhanger at the end of book 1!

Much to my disappointment, the drama seemed to be toned down a teensy bit. Also, two out of the three characters we follow sounded like broken records after a while. Both had to return home. One had to prove to his father he was a worthy, loyal son. One had to return home and warn his father that the Merofynians were coming. Another had to get the warrior monks and warn his father about the invaders. Don't get me wrong, it didn't really annoy me while I was reading. In fact, I tended to shrug these parts off. However, looking back, I do think the repetition will agitate quite a few readers, should they explore this series further.

There's oodles of violence and death in this book, though not enough to be deemed overkill (which is half the length of the first, by the way). I couldn't help but shake my head when Piro confronted her father. What a way to say goodbye... I couldn't imagine being placed in her position. And then to witness what happens in the court with her mother? I teared up at that part--after I cheered when that awesome little woman attacked Cobalt the bastard. Jeez, can you tell I don't like him? Ha.

Once again, readers are left to agonize over another long wait for the third and final book in this series. I can assure you I'm eagerly awaiting THE USURPER. I'm dying to know what will ultimately happen in the end. Will Byren avenge his kingdom? Will Fyn foolishly help Cobalt? Will Piro's true identity be revealed? So many questions... such a long wait!

If you want to take a break from your typical Urban Fantasy/Young Adult/Paranormal-Historical-Contemporary Romance reads, I suggest checking out the King Rolen's Kin series. Lots of drama, plus an easy to adjust to world is the perfect escape for any fantasy reader!



0 comments:

Post a Comment