A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Tori's Review: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick


Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those who have fallen -- and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.


Obtained: Simon & Schuster / Big Honcho Media
Genre: Young Adult
Series: 

1. Hush, Hush
2. Crescendo (book review)
3. Temptest (book review)
My Rating:

This book has received The Faerie of Honor rating.  (What is this?)

My Opinion:
For the longest time, I have avoided reading HUSH, HUSH. I've heard everything about it from how I'd either love it, hate it, how it was too similar to TWILIGHT, how it wasn't anything like TWILIGHT, how Patch was a psycho.... you name it, and I've read the review and/or commentary. So it was with great reluctance that I began reading this book. Ironically, I had no expectations for the book because of all the mixed opinions out there.  I truly did not know how I would feel about it, and I think that's what made me love it even more.

But if you don't believe me, I started this book at 11PM 9/14/10... and am up writing this review at 3:30AM 9/15/10. With my college class waiting for me bright and early in a few hours.

The sleep deprivation will be so worth it.

I adored Nora from the start. She wasn't like your typical YA heroine who becomes a puddle of moronic hormones the second a hot guy or two saunters onto her radar. She's spunky and suspicious of Patch during their first encounter. And their next. And the next. This girl has a level head (though there were some moments where she succumbed to the hotness that is Patch, and I don't blame her in the slightest), which is a respectable and rare quality in most YAs I've read as of late.

Which is why, while I appreciated the friendship betwixt Nora and Vee, I also didn't like it. I felt like Nora could do a lot better, and sometimes wished she would give Vee a good shake or two. If insanity and absentmindedness ever hooked up, Vee would be their miracle baby.

And Patch... Oh Patch, he has just secured a special place in my heart. I thought I was going to hate him. I thought he was some psycho and that all the reviews calling him such cruel names were spot on. I had my suspicions about him; wondered to myself how Becca was going to redeem him in my eyes after all this talk with murder and whatnot.

I loved the connection between Nora and Patch. I was giggling like a buffoon after reading a few of the scenes where the two get up close and personal. I was convinced of the attraction between the two, which is so important to me when I read a PNR. This, like a few other YAs I've read, redeemed the genre for me. I need more Nora and Patch pronto.

The ending was my favorite part. I didn't see it coming, and it was perfect. Perfect. Even now, an hour later, I've got a huge smile on my face.

Aside from a few parts that confused me, and Vee being silly, I had no complaints about this book.  The confusing parts seemed a little vague, yet were explained a few pages later.  And Vee?  Well, I'll just think of her as the special sidekick for now.

HUSH, HUSH is one of the few books that I think the masses were spot on about. This book was amazing, and I am SO incredibly happy that I'll be able to read CRESCENDO soon enough. I think this novel is one of my favorite fallen angel stories out there. Highly suggest checking this one out!



14 comments:

  1. I ended up liking this one too. It was good YA, and I don't say that often

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loved this book so very much! :) Like you, I found Nora to be a lovely and refreshing change from every other YA heroine out there ... she didn't just swoon at Patch's feet from the first moment she laid eyes on him, lol, she fought against her attraction to him the entire time ... as for Vee, she was stupendously over-the-top and brash and came up with the most *ridiculous* plans, but hell if she wasn't entertaining! :D

    And Patch ... *sigh* ... I was freaked out by him, yet - like Nora - found him strangely attractive even with all the murder stuff ... Becca Fitzpatrick really wrote him well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit I am surprised that you liked it so much! I thought maybe you would find it lame-ish. However, I am so glad you liked it! I love Patch. His snarky ass comments made me swoon. I can't wait for Crescendo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked it! Jealous that you get to read Crescendo so soon, I'm dying with anticipation for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this book yet, it is now on my list though. :)
    Terrific review, you made me wanta read it and thats awesome.I like the idea of fallen angels and all, guess thats why I liked the movie Gabriel and Legion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this one too :)

    And I laughed at the "special sidekick" in the review. Vee was incredibly annoying--but that only showcased how smarter Nora is, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been avoiding this one for awhile, or haven't been in a hurry. Like you, I've heard everything - it was amazing it was horrible, Patch is great, he's psychotic. Ugh! So tough. I am going to read in the next few weeks, but it's tough because everyone else's opinion is already in my head.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blod, me too my friend, me too...

    Bella, Vee could be entertaining, but then she'd do something stupid that made me want to bash my head LOL. And Patch... freaky, yet mysterious and oh-so-delicious towards the end :)

    Ash, Patch's snark totally made me love him more. He came off a bit pushy at the start, but totally grew on me shortly after that. I thought I was gonna find it dorky too. There were a few scenes that might have made me roll my eyes if I'd read this book another day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ABJ, the review will be up the weekish before Crescendo's release. That way you won't be too bothered with the wait ;)

    Chris, I'm so flattered you said that, thank you! I really hope you enjoy it. And I'm glad you could overlook my 3AM ramblings LOL

    Sandy, totally agree. It did make Nora seem smarter. Though that scene where she gives up her jacket? I questioned her sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Megan, I wouldn't let myself spend however much it was on Amazon with so many mixed reviews. So I waited. I definitely lucked out with this offer, and I'm so glad that I was granted the opportunity to read it! If you haven't bought the book, maybe you could borrow from your library and give it a shot? That way you don't feel like you've lost any money :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the great review. I have this one sitting on my shelf but haven't gotten around to reading it yet... maybe soon.

    I've given you a blog award at http://librarygirlreads.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Just stopping by to let you know that you have been given a blog award. http://abookgeek-llm.blogspot.com/2010/09/award.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I enJOY a book with an unexpected end.

    FYI...found your site through a link shared by Soap Box in My Mind's blog.

    Ruthi
    http://ruthireads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete