A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tori's Review: The House of Dead Maids by Clare B Dunkle



Young Tabby Aykroyd has been brought to the dusty mansion of Seldom House to be nursemaid to a foundling boy. He is a savage little creature, but the Yorkshire moors harbor far worse, as Tabby soon discovers. Why do scores of dead maids and masters haunt Seldom House with a jealous devotion that extends beyond the grave?

As Tabby struggles to escape the evil forces rising out of the land, she watches her young charge choose a different path. Long before he reaches the old farmhouse of Wuthering Heights, the boy who will become Heathcliff has doomed himself and any who try to befriend him.









Obtained: Publicist
Genre: Young Adult
Series: 

1. The House of Dead Maids
2. Wuthering Heights
My Rating:

My Opinion:
When I first heard about THE HOUSE OF DEAD MAIDS, the English major in me squealed with joy. Holy sweet baby Jesus! she said, I love WUTHERING HEIGHTS. THE HOUSE OF DEAD MAIDS is going to be awesome!

And awesome it was.

First of all, this story is not the sort of tale you should read at night. A wonderful woman named Barbara, who coordinated the tour I participated in, warned me not to do it. She said: "A word of advice: don't start reading it too late at night."

I wasn't sure what to make of her warning because I don't get spooked by books. I'll cry because of a book; I'll fling a book against a wall because something about it's agitated me; I'll even squeal with joy... but I don't get truly scared. Nevertheless, I listened to her advice. Kind of. The first time I sat down to read this novel, it was during the light of day.

The illustrations for each chapter made me wary enough to be gnawing on my bottom lip as I read on. I loved them, and I think they added an exciting aspect to the reading experience.

But then, stupid me decided that night to continue reading at about 1AM. Do you know how bad of an idea that was? It was an extremely bad idea. Why? Because the book--which I thought was not going to freak me out--freaked me out. I'm still not entirely sure which part got to me. It could have been the one little maid trying to sleep with Tabby. It could have been the gathering. I swear, when I was reading it, I thought I was seeing things from the corners of my eyes in my bedroom. So for the rest of the night, I locked myself in my bedroom and refused to go downstairs, even when I was dying of thirst. (Isn't it funny I'm recalling all of this at 3AM?)

My story aside, I truly enjoyed THE HOUSE OF DEAD MAIDS. Heathcliff was not only the brat one comes to know and love, but he was also young enough to still retain some sort of child-like innocence. It was at these moments, when said innocence--which was really more of him not being annoying around Tabby--shone through, that I adored him. I felt miserable for his fate. But then he'd act like a heathen again and I would forget my regret.

One particular description of the house stuck with me, even now, a few weeks later. I felt like the house truly was another character in the story. It added more excitement, me thinking it was alive.

I never once thought that there were ghosts when I read WUTHERING HEIGHTS. After reading this novel, however, it will be interesting to see if I still feel that way.

THE HOUSE OF DEAD MAIDS is short and definitely worthy of being labeled as the prequel to WUTHERING HEIGHTS. Heathcliff is such a rich and intriguing character in Bronte's novel... which I suggest you read if you still have yet to do so. To learn more about his possible origins in Clare's take of the book definitely broadened my understanding of the tale and of his position. I think that, whenever I decide to reread WUTHERING HEIGHTS, I will definitely read it with new, open mind.

A highly suggested, spooky read for the fall. Just make sure, if you want to get freaked out, you read it late (like 2AM) at night. But don't say I didn't warn you ;)



12 comments:

  1. Nice review doll. I wasn't too sure about this one, but I just might have to pick it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I hope you enjoy it! Was a pretty fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really want to read this now. I love scarey. Thanks for your review.
    Sue B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yikes, it freaked you out! Then I would read it in the middle of the day a nice summer day if I ever choose to read ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, then I suggest getting it and reading on a cold, rainy night after everyone's asleep.

    Blod, I've never ever had a book that's legitimately freaked me out before. Definitely read during the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review. It sounds amazing and creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea Ms. Dunkle had another book out! Wow! I must pick this one up. Thanks for highlighting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover of this book has haunted me since I first saw it.

    I think I might have to pick this up based on your review. Looks like a good read, I like books that leave you feeling all creeped out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book first got my interest on other book blogs because of the cover, but I think I'll buy it today now that you've highlighted the creepy aspect. Books usually never scare me either, so I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehe, hope you like it! Just make sure to read it LATE (like when everyone's asleep) at night.

    ReplyDelete