A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Tori's Review: A Brush of Darkness by Allison Pang


Paperback
- 368 pages
Price: $7.99
ISBN 13: 978-1439198322
Released: January 25, 2011

Allison's Website
Buy it via the Publisher
Buy it via Amazon

Obtained: Publisher 
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series:
1. A Brush of Darkness









The man of her dreams might be the cause of her nightmares.

Six months ago, Abby Sinclair was struggling to pick up the pieces of her shattered life. Now, she has an enchanted iPod, a miniature unicorn living in her underwear drawer, and a magical marketplace to manage. But despite her growing knowledge of the OtherWorld, Abby isn’t at all prepared for Brystion, the dark, mysterious, and sexy-as- sin incubus searching for his sister, convinced Abby has the key to the succubus’s whereabouts. Abby has enough problems without having this seductive shape-shifter literally invade her dreams to get information. But when her Faery boss and some of her friends vanish, as well, Abby and Brystion must form an uneasy alliance. As she is sucked deeper and deeper into this perilous world of faeries, angels, and daemons, Abby realizes her life is in as much danger as her heart—and there’s no one she can trust to save her.


My Rating: Giving two ratings for this one: Overall - 4; Beginning - 3.

My Opinion:
An interesting read, and one I was able to finish in a day. I kind of had to force myself to continue reading at the start, but that could be because I didn't have coffee and just finished shoveling lots and lots of snow. Sometimes it just takes me a while to warm up to a book, but I eventually did with A BRUSH OF DARKNESS once the action picked up.

I'm feeling ambiguous about Brystion. Initially, I felt like the interactions between Abby and this incubus were moving at a speed way faster than I was accustomed to in UFs, so that sort of change was difficult to adjust to. That *might* have turned me off at one point, but I think I just kind of grew accustomed to it and shrugged it off as the story progressed. I enjoyed the relationship they did eventually form together, and I'm anticipating the second book. Give me more!

I will say this: Brystion doesn't hold a candle to Phineus. I usually adore the hero and tell the secondary characters to step aside, but I think A BRUSH OF DARKNESS is an exception. Give me scenes with that wacky Phineus any day and I will be a happily amused reader.

I think Allison has a lot of talent, and am looking forward to seeing that talent shining brilliantly in book 2. A BRUSH OF DARKNESS is an etertaining debut with a kick ass cover you'd be crazy to not read.

4 comments:

  1. This is definitely going on my TR list. :)

    Great review. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have trouble with stories that push the hero/heroine together to quickly. You are right about UFs tending to be a more indirect route to the pairing, like 2 or 3 books into it before it happens . I like it that way. This books is also on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice & Jessica, I hope you both enjoy this! :)

    Sharon, if you have trouble with those sorts of stories, I'm not entirely sure if you will enjoy this novel (but I could be wrong--look at me! lol).

    I'm exactly like you, and typically prefer the romance to be dragged out in a UF series (as opposed to "instant gratification" in the first book). To be perfectly honest, I'm still not sure how I got over it that so quickly with this book. I think I just made myself think it was a PNR instead lol.

    ReplyDelete