A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tori's Review: Mercy Blade by Faith Hunter


Paperback
- 320 pages
Price: $7.99
ISBN 10: 0451463722
ISBN 13: 978-0451463722
Released: January 4, 2011

Faith's Website
Buy it via the Publisher
Buy it via Amazon

Obtained: Publisher 
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: Jane Yellowrock 
1. Skinwalker (book review)
2. Blood Cross (book review)
3. Mercy Blade 
4. Raven Cursed





Jane Yellowrock is a shape-shifting skinwalker − and a vampire killer for hire. But lately she’s found herself taking blood money from the very vampires she used to hunt...

Things are heating up in the Big Easy. Weres have announced their existence tot he world, and revived the bitter tensions that run between them and their old enemies: vampires. As a trusted employee of Leo Pellissier, Blood Master of the City, Jane finds herself caught in the cross fire.

When Jane is attacked by a pack of marauding were-wolves, she is thankful for the help of a mysterious stranger named Girrard. He explains that he used to be Leo’s “Mercy Blade,” a sacred position charged with killing vampires who have gone insane. What Jane doesn’t know is why this powerful assassin left New Orleans − or, more troubling, why he’s now returned. It’s definitely not to make Jane’s life easier...

My Rating:

My Opinion:
Once again, Faith Hunter has completely wowed me with another amazing story in the Jane Yellowrock series. Fans familiar with the series will be thrilled to discover that all established characters in the past two books make some sort of appearance in MERCY BLADE. That means we finally discover some unanswered questions, we witness new and blooming relationships, and we figure out whether or not Leo is actually batshit crazy.

A recent relationship in Jane's life, while brief in the beginning, adds a new, complicated element to our heroine's persona. On one hand, the young woman struggles with physical wants and desires, but then on the other, she struggles with a guilt that surfaces, reminding her that she is a bad Christian. At some points, the religious and political commentary seemed like it was a little overdone, but I felt that I could easily overlook that tiny bit.

There is so much sexual tension in this book. I admit that I was not a fan of Bruiser in SKINWAKER, however, he slowly grew on me in BLOOD CROSS. Now, in MERCY BLADE, I was begging my book for him and Jane to hook up. The chemistry and attraction between these two characters had me wanting to fan myself, while also feeling guilty because of Rick. When the heck has a book made me feel GUILTY about the heroine lusting after guys? Never. I think it has to do with the fact that Jane kept reflecting back on her guilt, which in turn, made me feel guilty. I'm still in shock that I felt bad! Nevertheless, I love the interactions between them now. I adore how flirty they are and how pushy Beast is when Jane and Bruiser are alone together. It just... was perfect.

Speaking of Beast, once again, I was not disappointed with our furry friend. I think that the relationship evolving between Beast and Jane has evolved to hilarious levels. I felt the comfortable bond the two share now, which made me smile. Looking back on this series, our lovable duo has come a long way.

The attention to detail is spot on in this book. I don't know anything about motocycles, guns, and weapons in general, but after reading MERCY BLADE, I feel like I can name a few facts. While I thought that all of this information provided was interesting, and reveals the author did her homework, I also felt that some description scenes went into a little too much detail for my tastes. I'm not into weapons or crime scenes, which is why I felt the need to skim over a paragraph or two regarding these points. For those who are interested, I believe these descriptions will impress the reader and draw them into the Jane Yellowrock world. As for me, it made the beginning in particular a little more difficult to get into. However, once the action in the story picks up, the detail gives way to heart-thumping action and the pages are no longer bogged down with pages of descriptions.

Too much description was actually my only complaint with this story. I almost cried by the end because I felt as emotionally exhausted as Jane did. I wanted to kick and scream and punch that stupid were-bitch early on. I wanted Jane to finally be happy...but I won't know until book four because of the cruel (okay I'm exaggerating a little bit) cliffhanger at the end. I'm hoping--no, praying--that the next book in this series will come out later this year. I don't think I could wait until 2012 for another Jane Yellowrock book.

MERCY BLADE, like I've stated earlier, does not disappoint. It is solid proof that Faith's writing continues to improve with each book published. I find that this is one universe chock full of characters that I fondly remember whenever discussing this series to a fellow reader. If you're looking for a dark, gritty tale where vampires are psychotic and not lovey dovey, where werewolves aren't sexy beasts, and where there is sexual tension up the wazoo, then MERCY BLADE and the Jane Yellowrock series is the series for you. Highly suggest buying this book today, and reading the prior novels ASAP!

6 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you liked the book! I loved the previous 2 and was hoping book 3 would be just as good. Does everything take place in New Orleans again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I am too! This is one series I know I can depend on not to disappoint me when it comes to reading a quality story. I'm so glad there are still some authors with the ability to keep me captivated from first page to last. And yes, it does take place in New Orleans again. I'm thinking book four will be in New Orleans also... or Jane might go back out to the mountains for the next book... or book five? There are some hints about her going back home and searching for things.


    Eleni, aside from the grittyness, I think you would love this series for the sexual tension. When it happens, it happens in a big way LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay... I'm no longer allowed to write reviews at 4:30 in the morning EVER AGAIN

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had this series on my list for a while, but now I think I have to move it up to the top! Sounds like something I would love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Faith here. I have tried several times to post here, and an old Google acct. name created by my husband keeps popping up. (One used when my pen name persona, Gwen, wrote a book about kayaking on whitewater.) If it happens now, I;ll leave it!

    Heather, yes, this book takes place in New Orleans. Book four, Raven Cursed, takes place in the NC and Tenn. mountains. Then, if there is a 5th book, Jane will be back in New Orleans or maybe in bayou country.

    Tori, thank you for the review, adn teh chance to comment here! You ahve been a trooper helping me with my *Gwen* replies.

    ReplyDelete