A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Monday, January 31, 2011

Tori's Review: Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning


Paperback
- 368 pages
Price: $7.99
ISBN 10: 0440240999
ISBN 13: 978-0440240990
Released: August 26, 2008

Karen's Website
Buy it via the Publisher
Buy it via Amazon

Obtained: Bought 
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: Fever Series 
1. Darkfever (book review)
2. Bloodfever
3. Faefever (book review)
4. Dreamfever (book review)
5. Shadowfever (book review)

In her fight to stay alive, Mac must find the Sinsar Dubh-a million-year-old book of the blackest magic imaginable, which holds the key to power over both the worlds of the Fae and of Man. Pursued by Fae assassins, surrounded by mysterious figures she knows she cannot trust, Mac finds herself torn between two deadly and irresistible men: V'lane, the insatiable Fae who can turn sensual arousal into an obsession for any woman, and the ever-inscrutable Jericho Barrons, a man as alluring as he is mysterious.

For centuries the shadowy realm of the Fae has coexisted with that of humans. Now the walls between the two are coming down, and Mac is the only thing that stands between them....


My Rating:

My Opinion:
So it took me about a week to finish BLOODFEVER--not because I did not enjoy this story, but because I was trying to be a good aspiring author and get some revisions done. Then, before I knew it, I had to read and review an ARC tour book, and then Mac and Barrons kind of just backed off. It wasn't until I spoke with a fellow blogger that I gave in to the urges to finish this damn book.

And holy crap, the cave scene made it SO worth it. I swear, I think with each book I read in this series, there will be one scene that will haunt my mind forever. So far, we've got: the roof scene and the cave scene. I can't wait to see what FAEFEVER has in store for me.

I originally started jotting down some commentary on Barrons and his oh so detestable/delicious behavior. For one, I was laughing my ass off in the first half of the book due to his jealousy. Here's one line I had to hunt down, just to include: "All right, from-the-fuck-whom, Ms. Lane?" (pg 103). I love that, despite how out of context this quote is, anyone familiar with the unique language belonging to Barrons instantly knows it's him. I also thought it was hilarious how grumpy he gets the second he realizes Mac's been talking to another man.

One of the things I look forward to while reading this series is the fact that Mac and Barrons fight and argue like an old married couple. They piss each other off, they glare, they have silent conversations--but when the situation is dire, we see a whole new side to that relationship. I'm talking the cave and the events that happen down there.

My laptop battery is about to die, so I'll sum my thoughts up: while DARKFEVER was good, BLOODFEVER totally blew me away. I enjoy the philosophical commentary, I love the banter between Mac and Barrons, and I love how Mac is growing as a character. Some people think Barrons is a douche, and believe me, he is, but for some reason, I can't help but adore him. I've said this in my last review, but as a book character, I love his personality. In real life? Not so much.

So far the first two books in this series are ones you NEED to add to your TBR right this second. I'll let you know about the third, but I believe it's going to be grouped in the same category ;)

6 comments:

  1. I read the first book in this series and absolutely loved it. I really need to read the others, now that the series is completed! No agonising waits for me. XD I've already had enough of that with Vampire Academy, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tori! I just bought this book yesterday so I'm really happy you enjoyed it. Now I'm totally stoked and I shall start reading it on the bus, lol. Like always another great review=)

    Have a great week!
    Steph

    P.S. I like the cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of those series that just kept me coming back. Yep, Barrons isn't Mr. Perfect, which is why he has that I hate you yet I adore you thing. It's his motivations, don't you think? At least we know he's a douche and he doesn't hide it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice, you definitely need to start! With each book, the cliffhanger gets worse and worse, but thankfully, the series is complete :D

    Steph, you're so sweet--thank you! :) I hope you enjoy BF as much as I did! Enjoy your week too xoxo

    Aria, Barrons is definitely not perfect. He's like an alpha male x2, to where it would get overwhelming if Mac didn't have any sort of backbone. In this book, I loved him despite the bastardy qualities; in FF.... not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you loved it hon. Trust me, the others will fall into that category of TBR. Hope you love it as much as I do. Great review hon, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bloodfever was friggin awesome, and that cave scene was FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete