A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Friday, February 10, 2012

AAD NOLA Author Spotlight: LA Witt



Authors After Dark is coming up in August in the lovely city of New Orleans, and I get to go! Yes, I’m excited. After three years on Okinawa, I’m ready for Louisiana’s humidity. Bring it on, NOLA.
 
I’ve never been there, though, so I can’t say much about it. Ask me again in September, and I’ll probably have all kinds of pictures and stories and such. At this point? NOLA is rather Greek to me. 

However, one of my characters has an odd fascination with certain aspects of New Orleans culture. So, I’m going to turn this blog over to Liam, the main character of my Riptide Publishing release from 2011 (and an upcoming not-yet-titled sequel), a vampire/cyberpunk novella called A Chip In His Shoulder.  He’s a vampire, he’s an assassin, he’s got more cyberpunk mods than you can imagine, and he has a bit of an attitude problem. Liam, take it away.

Liam: Thank you. Now be a dear and go get me some—you know what? Just be a dear and get the hell out of here. You’ve done enough damage. 

All right, now that she’s gone. *cracks knuckles* Seriously, you people have no idea what I put up with from her. She says I have an attitude problem. Hello? Who wouldn’t?  I live in a place called the Gutter—and I assure you, it lives down to its name—and my creator thinks it’s funny when I take a bullet.  Funny! Yeah, I’ll show her funny. At least my wounds heal before they kill me. She wouldn’t be so lucky.

Anyhow. New Orleans. For those of us in the death business, there are few things more fascinating than unique funerals, and New Orleans has no shortage of them. I don’t usually attend the funerals of my marks, but a friend of mine took someone out in NOLA, and out of sheer curiosity, stuck around for the funeral. Who knew such a thing as a jazz funeral existed? I may have to volunteer for a job down there just so I can see the resulting social affair. Apparently the funeral procession is led by a jazz band playing somber, solemn pieces. Then after the burial, they switch to loud, upbeat music. Celebrating the life of the deceased, I’m told. Me, I’d be celebrating another job well done and well paid. But hey, a celebration is a celebration, and if there’s death involved, I’m there.

I understand they have some unique traditions relating to their crypts and mausoleums as well. Re-interring family members after a year and a day, for example. Considering the rest of the country keeps death and the deceased at arm’s length, I admit I’m intrigued by a place that’s not so distant from their dead.  

So, in spite of the oppressive heat even when the sun goes down, I for one am looking forward to this jolly little jaunt to New Orleans. They have a fascinating funeral culture. I make my living providing guests of honor for their funerals.

And who knows? Maybe my creator can be the subject of one of their fun—

Crap, here she comes. I’m outta here…

See everyone in New Orleans!





Connect with LA:
Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

2 comments:

  1. Lol, if this is an example of your writing style, I want the book! Thanks for this fun blogpost!

    ReplyDelete