A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Alice's Review: Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Released: 25th May 2010
Paperback: 306 pages
Price: AU$16.99
Publisher: Atom Books
Source: Book Depository
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Action
Series: Chronicles of Nick
Series Order:
1. Inifnity
2. Invincible
3. Infamous (13th March 2012)
Summary:
Nick Gautier thinks he knows everything. Streetwise, tough and savvy, his quick sarcasm is renowned. But his whole world is suddenly turned upside down on the night his best friends try to kill him.  Saved by a mysterious warrior, Nick is sucked into the realm of the Dark-Hunters - immortal vampire-slayers who risk everything to save humanity - and he quickly learns that the human world is only a veil for a much larger and more dangerous one that's filled with all kinds of evil. Nick knows he's in real danger and he soon has a lot more to deal with than starting high school - all without getting grounded, suspended...or killed.
My Rating:
There are spoilers but they will have warnings before them in red.
My Opinion: 
Okay so I'd seen this a few years before in Kmart but didn't buy it because I hadn't read the DH (Dark-Hunter) books and had no idea why I would want to read this book. Then, last year I started the DH books and they soon became one of my favourite series! And then I remembered that Infinity book I'd seen but hadn't bought but now needed to read. So I went online and bought it (for a great bargain too - $4.50!) and impatiently waited for it to arrive. Which it did two days ago. I may have finished it within hours.

Anyways, enough back story. Let's get to the review. You guys don't necessarily have to read Kenyon's DH books but they provide a lot of context - and you will also LOVE them. So get on in there and read a couple before you try out this book because I know I would've been really confused if I hadn't read the DHs before it. I think I prefer CoN to DH because I really love Nick. I feel so bad for him but I also want to kick him in the arse a lot of the time, so getting to read about him and knowing his thoughts and feeling was awesome.

This starts off with Nick as a fourteen year old going to an exclusive high school as a scholarship kid. He and his mum aren't well off and he gets a hard time because of it, which then leads to him getting suspended for punching a kid and then getting into a bad sitch in the evening. When he tries to get out of it, his so called 'friends' decide to beat him up and then shoot him - but luckily he is saved by Kyrian, who is a DH. I won't explain the entire plot because this is a must-read book and I don't want to spoil anything for you!

This is a really funny book. I laughed a lot in this and absolutely loved it. I thought Nick was a bit too mouthy sometimes and wanted to punch him for some of the things he said and I also thought he sounded a bit too mature for a fourteen year old.  But hey, he'd grown up really well with his mum (I love Cherise, she is one of the nicest characters in the DH books and is so lovely to read about) so maybe his childhood accounted for him being mature. What I found super annoying was him falling for every hot girl he saw! Sheesh, Nick, horny much?

*Spoilers in next paragraphs* 

There were times when the book kind of dragged for me, but only because I couldn't wait to get to the more exciting parts. What boggled my mind was the appearance of 'Ambrose', who is revealed to be the present Nick trying to reverse his fate! At first I was confused but when it was explained, Ambrose made me so proud because of his efforts to change his future. He really warmed my heart and that scene in the car with Cherise made me burst into tears.

As I was reading this, I realised something: there was a plot hole. In one of the DH books (in Tabitha and Val's book) Nick ends up sleeping with Simi and tells Tabby that he'd never met her before because Ash never allowed her near him since he knew what a womaniser Nick was and Ash didn't want Sim to have 'carnal knowledge'. But Nick has met her because Simi appears in this book! Maybe I'm missing something, please correct me if I'm wrong!

*End of spoilers*

My verdict: This is a book I will reread many times and each time I will enjoy it just as much as I did the first time. For those of you who are Nick lovers, CoN is a perfect book series because it features Nick and provides so much more insight to his history and personality!

6 comments:

  1. I do like SK's book, but I got tired of them, and decided not to read the spin off series (because those Dream Hunters really disappoint me). I started the guardian a few days ago, and have absolutely no rush to go back to it either.

    My biggest obstacle to this particular series, is, it is YA! Or do you disagree with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found within the first 3 books that her writing was way too formulaic for my taste and gave up with the DH series lol.

      Delete
  2. Since I'm a teen I do like to read YA though since I also read adult stuff, the characters in YA seem a bit immature and stupid to me. But Nick is quite mature in this book and it doesn't feel like a fourteen year old is narrating, which is something I enjoyed. I hope that answered your question. >.<

    And I agree, the Dream-Hunters disappoint me quite a bit. A few of the books are a bit boring, I admit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the characters in YA seem a bit immature and stupid to me.

      This is why I love you. You don't gush over idiotic characters.

      LOTHAIREEEEEEEEEEEEEE 4EVAR <3333333 Lol

      Delete
  3. Look good:) Like the review and the cover:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE LOVE the CHRONICLE OF NICK series! I listed to the first 2 books on audiobook and even listening to them was amazing! I love that Nick is such a smart-ass but at the same time he's honest and true, sticking by his loved ones and doing what is right no matter what. I think the only issue I had with this book is the number of characters, it was a bit hard to keep track of them all but at the same time I loved that too. This series a must favorite of mine. Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete