A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Friday, October 15, 2010

Tori's Review: Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler


“Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.”

Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons?



Obtained: ARC Tour
Genre: YA
Series: Horsemen of the Apocalypse
1. Hunger
My Rating:

My Opinion:

Hunger is a compelling tale that eloquently captures the mindset of a person suffering from an eating disorder.  From page one I found myself captivated by the text, unable to put it down to eat.  There's something almost ironic about admitting that.

Readers are introduced to Lisa, the new Famine.  I've always been interested in the Horsemen of the Apocalypse.  They're one of those concepts that are fun to talk about, but nobody every really explored further, much to my chagrin.  When I heard Larissa Ione and Jackie M Kessler were both writing novels exploring the horsemen, I squealed.  Then to read Hunger early?  It pretty much made my month.

So Lisa has a problem: she's anorexic.  She doesn't believe she is.  She also doesn't believe that she's the new famine.  Except... she keeps randomly spotting her office's symbol, and there's this weird phantom horse eating her mother's plants in the garden.  Even so, our young heroine still does not believe the dream she had... of Death.

The plot itself was so unique I had no idea what would happen next.  Would Lisa die?  Would she accept her job and eventually come to terms with her problem?  I loved the fact that Jackie kept me guessing until the very end.  What made it even better was the huge plot twist.  And then the next twist.  Oh, and that final battle?  Awesome.

Death has got to be one of my favorite characters and I cannot wait to read more about him in future books.  He's so... un-deathy.  Despite him being the grim reaper, I would--without hesitation--want to give him a high five if I ever met him (assuming I didn't die by doing so).  He bestowed a sense of levity within the tale with his goofy comments.  Plus, to have Death act like that?  It never gets old.

I'd also like to mention the note that Jackie leaves her readers after the novel has come to an end.  It was moving.  It actually managed to make me tear up.  It is, simply put, beautiful.  Thank you so much Jackie, for sharing that little piece about yourself with your readers. 

I feel wrong for mentioning this now, especially after my last paragraph, but I have to say it!  The cover is amazing.  It's unique and it captures the idea of the book so well.  I love it.  I want a poster of it.  Or maybe a sticker.

Overall?  Hunger is a moving story.  It's an eye opener.  But you know, aside from all that, it was enjoyable too.  I never felt depressed like some books with heavy topics will make readers feel.  In fact, the ending was hopeful.  It made me happy that things turned out the way they did.  So if you've been anticipating this book, I am going to tell you now, chances are you'll love it.  And if you're unsure about reading this?  Give it a shot, if anything, it'll open your eyes about a serious problem plaguing society.



4 comments:

  1. I loved both Hunger and Rage.Jacke Morse Kessler is an amazing writer!Can't wait for Loss!
    Thanks for the awesome review, Tori :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gasp, you've read Rage already?? SO jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - both Hunger and Rage are awesome! Such a fantastic twist on a teen "issue" novel.

    (You can get a hold of Rage through NetGalley.)

    ReplyDelete