A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Monday, June 14, 2010

Cover Wars: Siren versus Firelight

Hello and welcome to the first installment of...
Cover Wars!
(inspired by Kate's Throwdown Thursday at The Neverending Shelf)

I asked, and you all responded.  While some of you were reluctant to see this new feature, about 90% of voters agreed that this would be a fun new addition to Book Faery, so here it is!

Cover Wars is a weekly feature at Book Faery posted every Monday.  Two covers will have a "face off," and it will be up to the readers to decide who is the victor and who is the loser.  This is a great way for readers to have their voice be heard, while also promoting new/old books in the process.


Week 1:
Siren vs. Firelight

Two YA books.
Entirely different worlds.
And yet... they have strikingly similar covers.

siren     Firelight


When I look at these two covers side-by-side, I can't help but think of fire and ice.

Which do you choose, and why?

35 comments:

  1. I'm torn, love both of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have to go with Firelight. I like the detail around the eye that denotes an important theme in the book.

    Also, I'm a little biased, because it's the one that I have seen in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firelight's warmer color scheme and less freakiness makes me inclined to pick it over Siren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I choose Firelight, it's more stricking. I love the hair, the eyes, the scales on her face. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toughie, they're both so gorgeous~ But if I had to choose... Firelight. I'm always more drawn to rich and warm colors. Plus I love the shimmery eyeshadow scales. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Siren for me. It looks more fantasy like and ethereal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I didn't realize how much they looked alike until you put them side by side! I'm so torn though! They're beautiful...I think I have to go with Firelight though, after all, as my son would say "wed's my favorwite cower".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah Angel, red's the best color there is! And I didn't notice the similarities either until I had the two books sitting side by side on my desk one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Firelight better... The Siren cover...well.. she looks half dead... just me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Firelight - I love her hair and eye makeup. Siren looks to washed out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Firelight because Siren looks washed out and not nearly as attention grabbing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like them both (they're very simlar) but I pick Firelight. I love the scales and there's something about the upturned corner of her smile that gives me the impression that she knows something I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowww. I didn't realize how similar they are until you did that! I don't particularly like either (there's something very... bland and motionless about both of them, in my opinion), but I might like the one for Firelight slightly more, in that the colors are brighter, the lines sharper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd have to pick Firelight because Siren looks to cold and washed out. Also the rumor is red heads are crazy so I would be more tempted to read that one =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the Siren cover better..the cool colors and violet eyes are awesome!! The slited iris in Firelight is a little freaky but it's still a nice looking book too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I choose Firelight b/c I love the color of her lipgloss. It's such a shallow reason, but I don't care! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a cover artist myself. Firelight is better. its just subtle enough to make me wanna pick it up while still putting the idea across.

    Siren looks like someone went nuts with a blur and color wash that doesn't know what they are doing.the over all effect could have been achieved with a clearer and more concise but nicely texture effect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like both covers but Siren is my pic for best cover. It's prettier in my opinion. It feels more surreal and fantasy-like. I like the title font on Firelight better though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like Firelight better. The subtle things like her eye make it more appealing to me. I love this idea btw!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like Firelight better. I prefer warm tones any day. Not only that, but the font on Firelight is much prettier. (I've never heard of Siren though, so perhaps it shouldn't have pretty font? Lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow,, I so thought of Fire and Ice too when I saw them together... they are very similar and they're both lovely but I'll go with Siren.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes both can be viewed similiar the way the girl has a closeup. But Firelight is more appealing, the vibrant colors are more inviting to want to make me accept it as more positive and open as opposed to siren seems to dark in a less appealing manner!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like Firelight cover better. There's just something in her eyes and in the way she smiles that says 'come, read this book and learn my secret!'It generally is more captivating for me. c:

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think they are both really cool loooking covers but I'm leaning towards Firelight moe. The eye does it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's hard to choose--the Siren cover is so ethereal and it sucks me in. But the Firelight cover pops out at me with all those reds and golds. They're both gorgeous!

    I think if they were both on a bookstore shelf, though, I'd probably pick up Firelight first, just because the reds would catch my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like both covers..
    I can see what you mean about one being Fire the other being Ice..Red tones/Blue tones..
    I personally would be more drawn to Siren..The coolness of the cover and the script of the title would pull me in..
    Both are really beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like Firelight better.

    Siren looks a little too washed out for my taste (which is probably the point...but yeah)

    and yeah I think Fire and Ice as well hehe

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the cover for Firelight. I love the scales around her eye and the red hair and all of the color.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'd have to go with Firelight. Siren looks a bit creepy to me Firelight looks mischievious...the little smirk makes her look like she's hiding a secret...plus her pupils are slightly modified to look cat-like.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's hard to choose but Firelight really has a look to her

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the colors of Siren better but I like the writing on Firelight better. I also like the details better on Firelight.
    Siren draws my eye more because of the colors though. Not sure which I would choose when looking at the details.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I pick Firelight because you can see her eyes more clearly and her hair looks a lot like flames. Everything just speaks fire, but the eyes really shine. You can't really see the eyes on Siren.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I like Firelight more. The face is more intense, the colours are much richer, and I can't get enough of that eye! I also like the font more for Firelight.

    I don't like the font for Siren. Overall, it just isn't as striking.

    ReplyDelete