A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Friday, June 18, 2010

A Season of Eden by JM Warwick


He's my teacher. I shouldn't be alone with him. But I can't help that he's irresistible. I let the door silently close at my back. He stared at me, and a taut quiet stretched between us. "I like hearing you play," I said, moving toward him. He turned, in sync with my slow approach. He looked up at me but didn't say anything. I rested my clammy hand on the cold, slick body of the baby grand. "May I?" The muscles in his throat shifted, then he swallowed. "Eden." My knees weakened, like a soft tickling kiss had just been blown against the backs of them. "Is it okay?" I asked. His gaze held mine like two hands joined. He understood what I was really asking. "Let me stay," I said. "Please." "You're going to get me in trouble," he said.


Warning: this review is not for a paranormal book.  Read at your own risk =P

Obtained: ARC Tours
Genre: Young Adult
Series: N/A
1. A Season of Eden
My Rating:
This book has received the Faerie of Honor rating (what is this?)

My Opinion:

First, I would just like to reiterate that this is not a paranormal book.  I am bending the rules by posting about a strictly YA book, but when you hear why, perhaps you will understand.

First a bit of back story: I was scanning through the Around the world ARC Tours, checking to see if there were other available titles (I've only joined recently) that were still open.  A Season of Eden was, and while it intrigued me, it also repelled me.  First I was intrigued by the summary alone, but then, paranormal-addict that I am, I realized I would probably not want to write a review about it.  I moved on.

A week later, I had returned to the page for this book, staring longingly at the beautiful cover.  The summary resonated with me; I had the sudden urge to dip my toes back into the high school life--if only to briefly reminisce. 

I received the ARC in the mail yesterday, stuffing the book into my purse in my haste to catch my train.  I had planned on reading it as quickly as I could in order to pass it on to the next person.  I didn't read it on the train ride there.  I did, however, read it on the ride back home... and I almost missed my stop because of it.

As I munch on some Skittles at 2am, I've realized something: this is the first Young Adult book--and a non-paranormal one at that--which has moved me to this degree.  Why else would I be guzzling down sugar, overeager to type out my review?  (and I had planned on not posting anything tomorrow [well, today now] because I was behind on reviews)

While most of us might cringe when looking back upon high school (I know I do more often then not), this novel has the potential to summon memories of young love to the forefront of one's mind.  It, for me personally, reminded me of the person I was, and how much I've changed since then.  It was beautiful and ugly all at the same time.  It reinforced the reality of how harsh teenagers can be--and even adults.  I was reminded of how wonderful it can be to meet such a talented, pure soul, and the fear of how your "darkened" soul would corrupt the other. 

Well maybe that one's just for me, and maybe I've figured out why this has resonated with me so much.  I dated a musician, and much like James, my first boyfriend was innocent, optimistic, naive, and so pure it was astounding.  In comparison, I felt like a typical dramatic teenager who was getting over a rough time in her life.  Yep, I didn't have the student-teacher relationship, but I definitely had the musician relationship, and it was beautiful while it lasted.

I was reminded of how flaky girls can be at that age (because I'm not reminded of this on an almost daily basis *sarcasm*), and how nasty they can get when more than one of them is struggling to attain the attention of the boy they currently want.  *raises hand* I've been guilty of that one.  I was reminded of how easily a friendship can dissipate, and how easy it is for "friends" to gang up on one victim.  I was reminded of the desolation one can feel, and how that is multiplied when something goes wrong within the family.  I was reminded of that, and so much more.

There were minor factors that annoyed me, such as the overuse of the words "retard", "lame", and "I'm sorry".  Likewise, Eden's immature thoughts sometimes irked me, but when I really thought about it.... well hell, I get like that too sometimes, as does everyone.  Besides, this is an 18 year old rich girl who always--as it was reiterated numerous times--gets her way. 

The development of Eden's character was outstanding.  She really transformed from some snooty little high school brat into a beautiful young woman right before the reader's eyes.  Time somehow manages to blur together so that the reader, aside from when Eden announces it's a new day of school, has no real sense of how many days have passed.  Normally I would frown upon this, but in this situation, I believe that this was another element that enhanced my reading experience.  How many times, as a young teenage girl, did time fly by during school as you waited and thought about your potential love interest, or even just a crush?

And now that I've finished the other half of my bag of Skittles, I feel it necessary to wrap up my review (and hopefully pass out before the sugar kicks in).  While not a paranormal book, I believe A Season of Eden is something that everyone should read.  I loved it.  It managed to make me tear up, and it also reminded me of how innocent love can be sometimes (emphasis on the sometimes).  Once I have the money, I will definitely be buying an actual copy of this book, because I know I will, at some point, re-read this.  I only wish there was a sequel...


14 comments:

  1. I can't believe I haven't heard of this one before. The synopsis alone sounds very intriguing, I'm definitely curious about this one and I don't read many non-paranormals often either but I'll be getting this one. Thanks for the awesome review!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem :) It was a welcomed break from my usual genres. I think everyone needs one from the typical books they read every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I didn't love the book as much as you did though. I think her use of certain words ("retard") bothered me more. I just wanted to scream at her "HELLO grow-up! Act mature!!"Nonetheless it was still a great read. :)

    I wish I knew what happened after graduation though. Did they hook-up? Did she stay in town for college and date James?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the second review I've read on this book in the past week and I definitely want to read it. It's already on my list. Thanks for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished reading this book yesterday! I really liked it, but I wish there was a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, a new book to add to my TBR pile! I have an award for you here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! And to think that I WAS on tour for this one but backed out the last minute since I had so much stuff going on... I'll have to go hunt for it at my library then. o.o

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey!
    I gave you an award on my site!
    Click here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather, I don't know! That's why I wish there was a second book. It would have been wonderful to see what would develop between Eden and James after she graduated. The ending was so open-ended I feel ripped off that there wasn't a second book.

    Almybnener: Definitely worth checking out. The story flowed smoothly. Just try to have an open mind with some of the language

    Elizabeth: I know! I feel ripped off

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandy, you missed out girl. Ask Cindy if she could mail it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're right... the cover is simply beautiful. I love the red with the black and white! And awesome review, too!
    Love, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much Hannah! Hope you're doing well hun :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the great review. I'll be re-releasing the book under my other author name and may point some readers here :)
    I'm always fascinated by readers who feel they want more from this story.


    Jennifer Laurens aka JM Warwick

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jennifer, thank you so much for stopping by! Please let me know when the book is re-released, I will be sure to buy a copy :)

    And PLEASE write a sequel! I'm dying to know what happens next!

    ReplyDelete