A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Friday, January 6, 2012

Alice's Review: The Shadow of Tiamat by Sean Poindexter

Paperback: 342 pages
Price: AUD$29.99
ISBN: 9781937254193
Released: 1st December 2011
Publisher: Crescent Moon Press
Author's Website: http://www.seanpoindexter.com/
Obtained: Author review copy
Genre: Adult, urban fantasy
Series: Dragon's Blood Chronicles
Book Order:
1. The Shadow of Tiamat
2. The Will of the Darkest One (TBA)

Summary: On a dark Ozark highway, two souls meet in tragedy and find their lives are connected to things bigger than them both. Megan Crunk, a social worker from Joplin, uncovers vampires preying on a small community. That same day, she meets Garrett, a fascinating stranger who is clearly more than he seems. But, as Meg slowly learns, so is she...


Garrett Terago is an ancient dragon, and until now, content with the secluded Ozark mountains. Disguised as a human, but rarely paying them heed, until he meets Megan. He offers her love and protection from the vampires but can he keep her safe from his own kind?

War looms between the dragons. Some long for a time lost to prehistory, when they were worshipped as gods, masters of the world. Somehow, Garrett is instrumental to their plans and Megan is in their way.
My Rating: 
My Opinion: This is an urban fantasy novel with dragons, vampires and whatnot. It has a romantic element to it (the two protagonists fall in love and etc) and that element wasn't to my tastes. Most of you guys are females, right? (I assume because it would be slightly embarrassing for a guy to be browsing a site called The Book Faery.) I know a lot of us are guilty at balking at reading a romance written by a male, which is why some male writers of romance often use acronyms or pseudonyms.

I wasn't sure if I really wanted to read this book because of that, but I did because hello, dragons. I love dragons. (For those who love dragons, check out Katie MacAlister's books. Her dragon series are Aisling Grey, Silver Dragons and Light Dragons. All books are romance and full of laughs.) I must say, the dragons in this book are quite cool and I did like the parts with dragons in them.

The first chapter starts off with Garrett telling Megan that he is a dragon after she asks him if he's a vampire. This was way out of context and, in my opinion, should have been in the middle of the book when she actually confronts him. It felt like the chapter has been taken out of where it should have been and placed at the beginning for no logical reason. I did like Megan's character because she's strong, independent and resourceful. What I found annoying was her 'natural pessimism' because she was sure everyone would be thinking badly of her and her actions all the time. Sheesh, calm down, girl.

What put me off was the romance. I admit to thinking female writers write better romance than men and this book still has me firmly hanging onto that thought. I can't pinpoint it, but there was something off about the way Mr Poindexter wrote the romance. I can't put my finger on it, but I just didn't like it. Also, did there need to be girl-on-girl scenes? Really, Mr Poindexter? Very classy.

This book does have sex scenes in them, but I just skipped them. I wasn't in the mood for reading sex so I just avoided it. Plus, it would have felt weird, being written by a man, since this book was in third person but did focus a bit on the girl's thoughts and feelings. Just... not my cup of tea. Truthfully, this book was almost a DNF for me. I just couldn't get very much into it. Plus, talk about a freaking cliffhanger ending! It was stupid how the entire second half of the book talked about how Megan was different (as in, a paranormal creature) but didn't reveal WHAT she was at the end.

My verdict: Sure, if you like dragons, overly described naked females and action, this book is for you. I had a hard time getting into it because of several turn-offs, but I can admit that others without my prejudices will enjoy it. Just not, you know, me.

7 comments:

  1. Bummer to hear this one was a letdown, since Tiamat is one of my favorite features of ancient world myth. There's a strong stigma against men writing romance in that it's more about wish fulfillment for the author, rather than for the reader. Not to say that this is always the case, but statistically, romance readers are mostly straight females and find enjoyment out of M/F and M/M pairings, but not so much F/F. It's traditionally males who like reading F/F pairings, but again, most straight males wouldn't be caught dead reading a romance novel.


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review. Even though you didn't enjoy the book, I appreciate you taking the time to write an honest review. I'm afraid there may have been some confusion, however: The Shadow of Tiamat is not a romance novel. The two main characters do fall in love, but it was not intended to be a romance novel. Nonetheless, I appreciate your review and hope you enjoy my future work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just presumed it was a romance since the protagonists end up together and all. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a straight male who reads romance. I know, I know, weird. But I like a good story, and I grew up believing romantic love would save me. The power of it all. Interesting the gender bias. I totally understand. No worries. Sorry the Tiamat book didn't hit you right. Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I really enjoyed the book and am anxiously awaiting the second. I found myself really laughing during parts, and wanting more. The sex scenes were too much to read in the company of others, had to stop reading and take the book home to read those parts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this book. I devoured it in 2 days, and only then because I slowed myself down. I found myself laughing and really caring about the characters and wanting to know more about them. I am looking forward to the second book. The romance didn't feel off, it was not heavy on romance like true romance books. I couldn't read the sex scenes in public, they were pretty intense. Definitely one I would recommend to friends.

    ReplyDelete