A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Alice's Review: Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Released: January 2012 (Aus)
Paperback: 390 pages
Price: $19.99 (Aus)
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: Bought
Genre: YA, adventure, action
Series: Healer 
Series Order:
1. Touch of Power
2. Scent of Magic (2013)
Summary: Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honoured for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos. 

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince - leader of a campaign against her people. 

As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....
My Rating:
My Opinion: Since March of last year, Maria has become one of my favourite authors. Her books include action, adventure, great heroines, romance and handsome heroes. What could I not love about them?  I was super excited to finally spot Touch of Power in my local Kmart and bought the book for a discounted price (a bonus!).

It starts off with Avry getting caught by the police for being a healer, which is very, very bad. There was a huge plague and someone spread rumours that the healers (people who are able to heal any injury by  absorbing it onto themselves. Eg someone has a cut on their arm, so Avry can use her magic to absorb it to herself, so she will assume that cut and it will heal quicker on her because of her powers) were the cause of the plague, so any healer was put to death. She is saved from death by a band of rogues and quickly makes good friends with them.

This band of rogues would become her little family, which is really awesome since she'll need all the help she can get to escape from the various mercenaries out to hunt her down for the huge bounty on her head. I really liked Belen because he is like the older brother I don't have but want!

Reading this book was awesome because the lead, Avry (pronounced as Avery), is strong-willed, stubborn, opinionated and sassy. She doesn't give in to anyone's demands, is smart and very likeable. I loved that she was witty and quick with comebacks and she made me laugh. She also irritated the hell out of Kerrick and it was so obvious that they would fall in love. Kerrick is smart, brave, a good fighter and a forest mage, which makes him very stealthy in the forest. He's also quick to anger when Avry speaks out against Ryne, the sick prince he needs her to save.

My verdict: I couldn't put this book down! Combine a great plot with a set of great characters and that equals Touch of Power. Maria's talent for writing such great books needs to be admired.

3 comments:

  1. I love this different cover! But I am still not sure about reading the book myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon that it's one of Maria's better books and it's totally different than what is now popular. And also, the romance is like a sub plot, so it's more action if you prefer that sort of thing.

    I really think you should read this book because Maria's books are all really great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I couldn't put this book down either (well, except to charge my nook). I can't wait for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete