A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Eve of Samhain by Lisa Sanchez



As a college senior and server at Hanaford Park's hottest nightclub, twenty-one year old Ryann Pierce's plan was simple: work hard, make lots of money, and avoid the ass-grabbers at all costs. What she never planned for was Quinn Donegan—the living, breathing advertisement for sinful behavior that waltzed into her life.

With an angelic face, a hard body and a butt-load of charm, Quinn had a way with the ladies—a lot of ladies. Cursed with a deadly, addictive touch, his trail of indiscretion blazed across five hundred years. Tired and jaded, Ryann is a shocking revelation Quinn didn't see coming.

Filled with desire, yet unable to touch one another, Ryann and Quinn embark on a daunting journey, battling frustrating physical limitations while exploring their new love. In a race against the clock, Ryann learns she must plead for Quinn's life before…the Eve of Samhain. Determined to end her lover's suffering, not even the danger dogging her every move can keep her from her mission.

Obtained: Publisher
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series:

1. Eve of Samhain
My Rating:

My Opinion:
I felt like I had a love/hate relationship with this book at the start.  But it wasn't with the actual text... more the format of the pdf, which WOULD NOT open on my Kindle.  I had to read this on my laptop, after all.  So I started reading this book, somewhat annoyed.  And I think that influenced how I initially felt about this story.

The heroine, Ryann, intrigued me at some points, only to agitate me not even a minute later.  I felt like she would be one of those friends I'd have a sisterly relationship with: I adore her, but sometimes I just want to strangle her.  This feeling of annoyance continued for the rest of the day... until I finally stepped away from my computer for a bit.  When I came back, the story felt like it morphed from an okay read into the cute romance I enjoyed for the remainder of the book.... which reinforces the fact that I'm a mood reader.

One aspect that delighted me was the mythology within the pages.  I love learning about new folklore and new aspects of the stories I have already heard of.  By combining that mythology, and making it relevant to the tale, I believe Lisa successfully added an aspect of urgency to the plot.

I also love Quinn.  The accent.  Oh the accent made me melt.  If I heard that in person, I would probably be a puddle of hormones still.  I'm a sucker for the protective heroes who also have a softer side, and Quinn does not disappoint!  It's been a week or two since I've finished this story, and I still adore him!

What I didn't like: the emphasis on one's body image.  The start primarily focused on this, and after constant reminders, I began skipping paragraphs dedicated to Ryann's insecurities.  It's not that I hate books that explore this, but some books hone in on it too much to the point where it's overkill for me.  And yeah, I think all women could relate with some of the thoughts flying through the heroine's mind as she observed Quinn with other women... but... I just got tired of it after a while.

Overall, I enjoyed it.  If there was less emphasis on what I had mentioned, I think I would have enjoyed this even more.  It's a great read though, and captures the element of a cute romance very well.  If you'd like to learn a bit of mythology while reading a cute love story, read this book!



3 comments:

  1. I didn't even need to read the review b/c the cover made me so happy. Sounds pretty interesting. I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting, I'll have to pick this up sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete