A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Monday, July 19, 2010

Guest Post with Jo Lynne Valerie

Hey everyone!  We're going to veer slightly off schedule.  I'm going to delay Cover Wars! to tomorrow, because today... I have a very special guest for you all!

Earlier last week, I had the opportunity to explore a wonderfully written novel (Phoenix Rising) by a talented, kindhearted author who takes a different approach when writing a paranormal book.  Her name?  Jo Lynne Valerie, the Para Goddess.  Please give her a warm welcome!  This post is sure to intrigue the paranormal addicts out there.




When Paranormal Fiction Comes Close To Reality
by Jo Lynne Valerie

In books, the Paranormal is HOT these days! Recent visits to B&N and Border's proved it; the shelves and tables were lined with books for adults, teens, tweens and kids, on all manner of paranormality.  As an author of Paranormal Fiction, I couldn't be happier.  This is a great time to be a para-writer!  But my Paranormal fiction is a little different from what you might expect, based on what's currently hot in the genre.  You see, my Paranormal Fiction comes very close to reality, if not entirely authentic.

Wait, what? Yep, it's a true fact: I've taught metaphysical classes for years and have engaged in too many real Paranormal investigations to count.  In my hometown, I've been the person called to address real hauntings, banish negative entities and lift curses.  I've also been the one to bestow blessings on homes, babies and newly married couples.  In addition to my career as a writer and author, the actual, factual Paranormal has sort of been my gig.  So why wouldn't I build real-life Paranormal into my fiction?  As they say... the truth is so... much... stranger!

Speaking of strange... let me dish a little about my brand new book, set to release August 24.  It's called STRANGE LOVE.  Readers, I am so excited about this novel, it's bordering on outrageous!  You're going to get to experience the Paranormal very close to the way things really are, and I think you're going to love it!  Believe me, I know from experience, that the moment one realizes there's a very real supernatural world right alongside our own, we also realize life can be much cooler and magical than we ever dreamed.

Strange Love, a Contemporary Gothic Paranormal Novel, is the story of heroine Kasia Kovalenko, a sociology student at the University of Massachusetts.  Strange Love's hero is tall, dark and accomplished Lucas Alvarez, son of a famed oceanographer and Psychiatry PhD candidate.  Kasia and Lucas meet on campus and hit it off... just like gazillions of students every day.

Seems normal enough, right?  Oh, contraire... You see, Lucas comes from a lineage that is not entirely human.  In reality, his entire family is quite supernatural.  Lucas, and all the men in his immediate family, shift into a wolfish state one Full Moon each year.  Lucas' grandmother Adoncia, is the matriarch of the family and she also happens to be a Witch.

What!? The Alvarez men shift on just one Full Moon?  Yes!  Because I've written Strange Love very close to the energies of the actual Full Moons each year.  Oooh, and Adoncia is a Witch?  What cool powers does she have?  So glad you asked! Adoncia has the powers many lineaged Witches who've practiced and honed their Craft for years would have: she can divine the future, create and administer healing elixirs, cast an impressive array of spells and communicate with unseen spirits.

*smirks a little*  I should know about these things; I myself am a practicing Witch (quite different from Wiccan!), having been raised, mentored and trained by skilled, magical women.  My personal power animal is the wolf and I belong to Coven of the Wolf, created within the spiritual community I founded in my city, Temple of The Moonlit Path.

Yep!  Strange Love is a Contemporary Gothic Paranormal Novel based on reality.  What's gothic about it?  The imagery, for one thing... and the texturing, for another.  I'm a passionate, intense Scorpio; this book is deep, intense, and it does run a tad dark - just like the real Paranormal.

In order to entertain readers, I've included some interesting arcs and plots.  But I assure you... readers will come away from Strange Love knowing a lot about Para reality!  I'm dishing up the good stuff on the power and magic of the Full Moon, along with a lot about non-fiction witchcraft!

When Paranormal Fiction comes close to reality, there's a departure from mythology and only a slight element of fantasy.  This is what I've written in Strange Love.  As a bonus, I've included a very cool little feature at the end: witchy facts, a few spells readers can try out safely and some real Full Moon and wolf lore.  I want readers to adore Strange Love and discover some supernatural surprises at the end!

Tori, thanks for giving me the amazing opportunity to post and dish on your blog, about my upcoming release.  Such an honor, what a pleasure, and I thank you!  As a token of my thanks, I'll be sending you one of my author's copies of Strange Love, before release.  Signed and stuffed with very cool Para swag, of course. *winks*  Readers, if you've got any Paranormal questions, please feel free to stop by my blog this Thursday at http://www.JoLynneValerie.blogspot.com.  I'll be hosting my weekly Thoughtful Thursday tradition, where I answer questions on the paranormal, holistic health, writing, or if you prefer, I'll draw an Oracle card and provide Intuitive insight.

Moonbeams and Luv ~
Jo Lynne Valerie
www.JoLynneValerie.com
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Myspace  |  Youtube

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to stop by and say hi--I'm doing Judith Graves's Crossroads tour with you (http://bookswarm.blogspot.com).

    I'm looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete