A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cover Wars: Hunted by the Others versus Taken by the Others

Hello and welcome to another installment of...
Cover Wars!
(inspired by Kate's Throwdown Thursday at The Neverending Shelf)

Cover Wars is a weekly post occurring every Monday at Book Faery.  Two covers will have a "face off," and it will be up to the readers to decide who is the victor and who is the loser.  This is a great way for readers to have their voice be heard, while also promoting new/old books in the process.

Note: My apologies for pushing this back to Tuesday.  I had already scheduled a guest post way before Cover Wars! was in mind.





Last week (except it was more two weeks ago, but who's keeping track?) on Cover Wars, we had a face off between Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus and The Dark Divine by Bree Despain.
 
The vote was unanimous.  You all would prefer creepy zombie legs over a wisp of smoke.
Congrats to...

The Dark Divine



Week 4:
Hunted by the Others vs Taken by the Others

Both are written by the same author, Jess Haines.
 
Jess just revealed the new cover, TBTO on her blog, and I’m curious to see what you all think.
 
Personally, I think Shia is way too out of character on the Taken by the Others cover.  I wish the art department had continued the badass Shia look that they adopted with the Hunted by the Others.  But eh, that’s just my opinion.  Either way, Taken by the Others is going to be amazing. 

HuntedbytheOthers Taken by the Others


(I’m not sure if anybody actually likes the clothes Shia’s wearing in the second book.  But if you do, please, speak your mind!)  I will admit one thing about the second cover: I LOVE the purple tones.  I think it makes the entire look vibrant and inviting.

Are you a fan of the original, with the badass, in character Shia?  Or, are you smitten with the colors of the second book?

Which do you like more, and why?

12 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of either cover, but I definitely like Hunted better than Taken. I love the badass look and the red, red covers just work for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, they both seem to have pretty unattractive Barbie faces, it's rather odd o_o Plus, the second one kind of looks like she should be Conan's girlfriend, or something!

    If I *have* to pick one ... Taken ... she may have a man face, but it looks a little less plastic than the first one :o ... and I don't really like the flowing black coat on the first, it's too Matrix :o ... and the purple is gorgeous :D

    The more I stare at them, the more convinced I am, lol ... no way is Hunted going to take Taken down!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While the purple background in TBTO may be pretty awesome, there's no way that slutty outfit and weird-looking face can beat HBTO. Plus, I really hate it when book covers put characters in clothes that they would never actually wear!

    Cade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really like either cover though if I had to pick it would be the red cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not really a big fan of either cover either, but I prefer the first one, because on the second she just looks like a prostitute with a sword. Unless I'm missing something and between the first and second books, she becomes a prostitute that carries a sword, in which case, it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never really liked the Hunted cover however I prefer it to Taken. I'm not feeling the change in the character style and the purple isn't grabbing my attention much either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely the first cover better. I hope that's not the final cover for the sequel because those clothes just make her body look awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say Hunted. I like how the text appears to be coming out of her jacket.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the first cover better.
    My comment will be harsh but Shia on the second cover just looks like a photoshop experiment gone bad.
    I love the purple theme, in fact I love everythng for the second cover except for Shia herself. Her cloths don't fit her, and her face is way to masculine + the neck line is just obvious photoshop.

    I'm sure the second book will be amazing so the cover won't stop me from buying it, but a new reader might be stopped by it.

    I realy hope they change it before the release.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both covers are kind of freaky but if I had to choose I'd say the purple one because it looks less demonic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not like the Taken cover - I agree with Tynga - she doesn't look quite right (body wise)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the hunted cover better. The other was kinda cheesy looking to me. I don't ever judge a book by its cover though...I read the reviews and then give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete