A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Tori's Review: Siren by Tricia Rayburn


Released: July 13, 2010
Hardcover - 352 pages
Price: $17.99
Publisher: Egmont USA
Source: BEA
Genre: YA, PNR
Series: Siren
Buy: Amazon

Seventeen-year-old Vanessa Sands is afraid of everything—the dark, heights, the ocean—but her fearless older sister, Justine, has always been there to coach her through every challenge. That is, until Justine goes cliff-diving one night near the family’s vacation house in Maine, and her lifeless body washes up on shore the next day.

Though her parents hope that they’ll be able to find closure back in Boston, Vanessa can’t help feeling that her sister’s death wasn’t an accident. After discovering that Justine was keeping a lot of secrets, Vanessa returns to Winter Harbor, hoping that Justine’s boyfriend might know more. But Caleb has been missing since Justine’s death.

Soon, it’s not just Vanessa who’s afraid. All of Winter Harbor is abuzz with anxiety when another body washes ashore, and panic sets in when the small town becomes host to a string of fatal, water-related accidents in which all the victims are found, horrifically, grinning from ear to ear.

Vanessa turns to Caleb’s brother, Simon, for help, and begins to find herself drawn to him. As the pair try to understand the sudden rash of creepy drownings, Vanessa uncovers a secret that threatens her new romance—and will change her life forever.

A seductive paranormal romance full of unexpected twists, Siren is certain to make a big summer splash.

My Rating:
This book has received the Faerie of Honor rating (what's this?)

My Opinion:

Where to start?  I loved this book, I think that much is obvious, considering I've added it to the Faerie of Honor list. 

Initially, I wasn't interested in Siren.  It was a YA, and I was slowly--yet surely--growing tired of all the paranormal YA that has bombarding me at every angle.  After a while, I grow tired of reading about young teenage girls making stupid decisions that ultimately echo throughout the rest of the book.  Yes, most teenagers aren't as experienced and don't understand certain things, but it appeared as if this was a trend--no, more like an excuse by some authors to be less creative.

Suffice to say, Vanessa has some instances where she is being somewhat silly, but she does not fit into this typical mold of the teenage heroine.  She is strong, brave (despite what she may believe), and beautiful.  When her sister dies, this young woman takes matters into her own hands.  Most people would simply accept Justine's death for what it was, yet Vanessa does not.  She knows there is something wrong... and I loved her for it.  I love heroines who take the initiative, but are also wary during the process.  That's not to say I don't love the other heroines who run into a fight with guns blazing, or the ones who slowly and patiently wait it out, those are different books, for different times.

The cover was visually appealing, and it is extremely beautiful.  In the beginning, I didn't understand the significance of the colors or the overall designing of it.  Now that I do, I appreciate it so much more.  I know a lot of people instantly dismissed the colors and the somewhat creepy feeling emanating from the closeup, but I guarantee you, should you read this tale, you will understand why.

I loved the relationship that had just began to sprout between Vanessa and Simon.  Simon's cute, and I adored his character.  It was frustrating towards the end listening to all the worries our young heroine had, especially after the two seemed to experience a monumental moment together.  The romantic in me yipped in joy... only to wail in dismay towards the end.

This intricate world of sirens Tricia has created intrigued me so much that I'm curious to see if there will be a second book, and whether or not this will turn into a series.  While looking, I couldn't figure out if there was going to be one... I really hope there is!  Witnessing the change Vanessa undergoes towards the end will be an interesting followup.  As will the relationship--PLEASE tell me it'll work out!--with Simon.

Overall verdict?  Loved it, highly suggest it.  It's a refreshingly new summer read that is absolutely perfect for the beach!

Series Order:
1. Siren
2. Undercurrent (Tori's Review)

4 comments:

  1. I loved this one! It's such a great mystery and now I want to know what's going to happen with Justine - it's too bad we have to wait till next summer for the next book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have this in my TBR pile, I went back and forth between getting it or not, but it sounds like it has a lot of promise. I can't wait to get started on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second book comes out next summer? Sheesh... this is brutal. My winter's gonna suck with all this waiting I have to do!


    Thanks :) I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete