A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Monday, August 15, 2011

BOTS 2: Tiffany Reisz


 

But That’s Another Story...
OR
There’s No Such Thing as a Secondary Character


by Tiffany Reisz

Tori asks me a near impossible question to blog about - Who is your favorite secondary character and why? Why is this nearly impossible to answer? In my writing, there are no secondary characters. Every single character in my books is a fully formed person in my mind. They may only play a minor role in that book, but they usually return in another book as a main character. Any character who has more than five lines in my books usually ends up getting a book of his or her own.

I blame Michael Ende for this. If you’ve never read his glorious children’s novel The Neverending Story, then BOO! I shun you! In less than four-hundred pages, Ende creates a fantastic world of breathtaking strangeness and beauty that eclipses all seven Harry Potter novels for sheer imaginative glory. A young boy named Bastian ends up the world Fantasticia, which is the creation of human imagination. As he adventures through this world, he meets strange character after strange character and helps them through whatever dilemma they’re in. And once that adventure is resolved, the character Bastian has helped goes on his or her way to have new adventures without Bastian. The narrator intones at the end of these scenes, “But that is another story and shall be told another time…”

With every character I create, even if he or she plays only a small part in one book, they loom so large in my mind that I have to write their story, even if it’s only in my head. For example...in my debut novel THE SIREN (coming in 2012 from MIRA Books), my main character, an erotica-writing Dominatrix named Nora Sutherlin, takes her editor Zach Easton to an infamous S&M club. A sexy young man with impressive muscles, arms tattoos, and a wicked grin waits on them. Nora introduces him as Griffin Fiske, a Dominant in their world and a spoiled trust fund baby in the outside world. He has two short scenes in the book where he hits on both Nora and Zach, makes a few wisecracks that has Nora ready to gag him, and then he’s gone. But in his short time on screen we learn that he’s intelligent and witty, that he’s bisexual and rich, and that he’s a little lonely and would like his own submissive.

Cut to book two, THE ANGEL (2012, MIRA Books), and suddenly Nora’s in a pickle and needs a place to hide out. She and Michael, a young male submissive friend of hers, run up to Griffin’s estate in Upstate New York. Griffin and the Michael fall for each other hard and fast, and their complicated love story has been the most enjoyable romance I’ve ever written. Griffin’s a recovering drug addict. Michael’s recovering from a suicide attempt and severe depression. Griffin’s all Dom. Michael’s pure sub. Griffin’s rich. Michael’s poor. Griffin’s out and proud about his kinkiness and bisexuality. Michael’s a terrified teenager who can barely look his parents in the eyes. But together they make an amazing team and manage to help each other confront the demons of their past as they plan a future together.

That’s why Griffin Fiske is one of my favorite secondary character I’ve ever written.

Plus Griffin says stuff like this:

“Blowjob on a British guy?” Griffin asked with some concern. “You're a braver bitch than I. No offense.” Griffin turned to Zach. “I have a foreskin phobia.”

“Zach's Jewish.”

Griffin nodded his approval. “Mazel tov.”


Oh, and he looks like this:


4 comments:

  1. well hes just gorgeous lol
    flanagan@mebtel.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. geez...your books coming out next year sound great. Now I'll have that image of Griffin in my head forever. He's just hot =) Thanks for the post and I completely agree. There is no secondary character. I usually love them all equally.
    Tanyaw1224(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I guess I'm going to bed with some sweet dreams now! Books sounds great though.

    pink_gyrl@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that there is really no secondary character most of the time, they are just as planned out and important to the story line as a main character.

    rachaelmccully@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete