A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Monday, September 19, 2011

Cover Wars: Rot & Ruin vs Handling the Undead


Cover Wars
(inspired by Kate's Throwdown Thursday at The Neverending Shelf)

Cover Wars is a weekly post occurring every Monday at Book Faery.
Two covers will have a "face off," and it will be up to the readers to 
decide who is the victor and who is the loser.  This is a great way for 
readers to have their voice be heard, while also promoting new/old books
in the process.


Last week we had a showdown between So Shelly by Ty Roth, and Fateful by Claudia Gray.

The Winner:
  So Shelly by Ty Roth!


Rot & Ruin vs Handling the Undead

Zombies!

I couldn't resist. I have a serious fascination with zombies (one of the many things Tori and I have in common) and I figured they deserved their own cover war!


There obviously isn't a huge difference between the two, but I think color and minor alterations can have quite an impact on whether or not the cover catches our eye. Which do you prefer?

--Amanda

6 comments:

  1. Normally I drawn to bluish hues in things (guess it's kinda my fave colour), but this time I am drawn to Rot & Ruin cover - I think it's because the eye has the reddish colour around it making it feel a little more scary? It feels more real I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rot & Ruin. Not just because it's one of my favorite books. I think it's more disturbing, and I don't like the tear in the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how I feel about either book cover. I don't think either one would immediately draw my attention. Probably because I'd automatically know they're zombies, and I'm not the biggest zombie fan. I think I may like the Handling the Undead one better, because of the softer hues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alas, while I'm a zombie-holic (omg, I just got a new zombie book I must tell you about), neither cover really grabs my attention.

    If I had to choose though... Rot & Ruin. Like Chrystal said, the red around the eye on this cover really draws your attention to the entire image. Especially when compared to Handling the Undead, which seems to fade in the background since it's ALL blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of the two, the Rot and Ruin cover is the one that says "undead" to me.

    Also, the blue wash is so overused in movies these days that I'm tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate when book covers are almost identical! Makes me feel so bad for the authors. I definitely like Rot and Ruin more.

    ReplyDelete