A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Into the Dark: The Darkest Fire by Gena Showalter



The Darkest Fire


A Lords of the Underworld prequel.

Geryon is the guardian of hell, more monster than man.  Kadence is the goddess of Oppression, more angel than woman.  Together they will enter the flames to battle a dangerous horde of demon lords—and discover a passion unlike any other.



The Darkest Fire
Note: This review focuses solely on the first story of this book featuring Geryon and Kadence.  You can see the second part of this review about "The Amazon's Curse" here, and the third part of third review about "The Darkest Prison" here.

Obtained:
Netgalley
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Lords of the Underworld
My Rating:
 
A short, yet sweet story of acceptance.

Story:
Kadence, the Goddess of Oppression, is forced to monitor Hell's walls, ensuring that they never crumble.  Geryon, a "monster," is stationed to guard Hell, protecting the living world from the vengeful spirits trapped inside.  The two have worked side-by-side for years, never once uttering a word to the other.  But, when demons start causing some trouble, will Kadence and Geryon be able to overcome the trial set before them, or, will they ultimately be defeated?

My Opinion:
I usually try to avoid short stories, simply because they're too brief for me.  I'm always left craving for more, bemoaning how cruel the authors and publishers are for releasing such a short snippet of an idea that I feel has potential.  Usually, I'm also never convinced that the two characters are in love in these types of situations, unless their relationship was developed in prior books. 

With that said, I was slightly skeptical in regards to this blossoming relationship.  I neither doubted the physical attraction, nor the feelings of liking the other, but in regards to love?  Still too brief for me to fully believe.

While I wished that this story was slightly longer--I'm a sucker for these stories--I was not left disgruntled.  The outcome was something so creative and unique that I have to applaud Gena for being so frighteningly clever.  Never once in those 90 pages did I suspect that that was how the story would end.



1 comment:

  1. Aria: I feel the same about short stories. I always want more, especially if the characters intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete