A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Into the Dark: The Darkest Prison by Gena Showalter



The Darkest Prison
A Lords of the Underworld tale.
 
Once, Atlas, the Titan god of Strength, was the Greek goddess Nike’s slave.  Now, he is her master.  And soon these sworn rivals destined to destroy each other will be forced to risk everything for a chance at love…






The Darkest Prison
Note: This review focuses solely on the third story of this book featuring Atlas and Nike.  You can see the first part of this review about "The Darkest Fire" here, and the second part of this review about "The Amazon's Curse" here.
 

Obtained:
Netgalley
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Lords of the Underworld
My Rating:
This was the perfect length, with the perfect ending.

Story:

Nike, Greek goddess of strength and victory, and Atlas, Titan god of strength, were always rivals.  When the Titans were locked away in Tartarus, Nike enjoyed taunting the god, proving that she was far superior.

Upon the defeat of the Greeks, Atlas was sure he would have revenge.  What better way to extract that revenge then to brand Nike the way she branded him ages ago?  However, upon glimpsing his name on her back, Atlas is starting to have second thoughts about revenge.

My Opinion:
The Darkest Prison was my favorite short story out of the three that were provided in this book.  Despite introducing new characters for readers, the love that blossomed betwixt Nike and Atlas was neither rushed nor unbelievable.  I was left feeling satisfied and, once again, begging for more. 

These two immortals live up to their arrogant reputations, while also revealing a more vulnerable side.  I believe that the combination of the two--especially the alpha male and female clashing heads--is what made their tale a successful one.  It will be interesting to see what Gena will do in her future Lords of the Underworld books--especially considering the outcome of this tale. 

Into the Dark
is well worth reading.  I will be buying a copy of this when it comes out on April 27th.



1 comment:

  1. Jennifer: definitely agree with you. This one was my favorite as well.

    Tori: Atlas and Nike were soo awesome! I really want to read more about them in the series. Can you imagine the two of them interacting with the lords? Would be hilarious



    Heather: I should check out Showalter's books - they seem very sexy and entertaining..

    Tori: YES! Do it ASAP! I'll be doing a Lords of the Underworld week in May. Gena will be giving away signed copies of her 5 books. You should stop by for the reviews and enter!



    Dawn: Great review Tory, I actually had a bad experience with one of Gena Showalter's book about a year ago and it totally turned me off her. But, after reading your review, maybe I'll give her a second chance.

    Tori: You did? Which book was it? I'm so sorry to hear that =(



    Margaret: I havent read any Gena Showalter yet, but i just picked up Interwined. I heard shes good! Enjoy your books! :)

    Margs

    Tori: Ahh that's her YA book. All the others are for adults



    Lexie: For some reason this series doesn't hit it off for me. I'm not sure why as I like most of Showalter's other books (especially Playing with Fire and Twice as Hot). Then again I tried to read book 3 first and I think they may have coloured my perceptions a tad bit...

    Tori: Yeah, Reyes and Danika were okay, but they weren't the best in the series. I'd suggest either reading book THE DARKEST KISS, THE DARKEST WHISPER, or THE DARKEST PASSION if you're reading out of order. But...I wouldn't really suggest reading out of order ;)

    ReplyDelete